truenas plex plugin DHCP not working

lukdk

Cadet
Hello,

I'm having very similar problem as described in this thread;

solution from DrKK:
"Alright. That failure is really ungraceful. We'll need to bug report this somewhere. But in the meantime, let's see if the culprit is DHCP. Can you go into those jail settings, turn the DHCP off, and just try a static IP assignment, see if the jail starts?"

I wanted to add to the message that trying to install the plugin with the DHCP enabled failed. With DHCP disabled, the install fails as well. I installed it using the checkbox for the NAT in the plugin options, the installation works. However network wise without configuring an extra route on my router towards the addresses behind the NAT would require extra router configuration (and enable routing on my NAS if that isn't the case by default), but i think this would have worked as well. (router: 192.168.0.1, desktop and NAS are both in the range 192.168.0.*, but when applying the NAT option, the plugin will be installed and get an IP in the range 172.*.*.*

After I installed the plugin, using the NAT option, the installation passed, but obvious as I didn't reconfigure any routes on my router so i can't reach the address. I tried to manually apply an IP address after the installation and now I have the installation wizard of plex when i try to access the LAN address on the correct port, the "manage" link on the truenas web interface at least is linking to something that is responsive.

Btw, this is also a fresh install of the latest stable version, I didn't keep any configuration files from previous (older) installations.

wkr,
Luk

lukdk

Cadet
update: not so sure I'm using the latest stable version, just downloaded TrueNAS CORE 12.0-RELEASE earlier this evening. The other thread the person is using FreeNAS 11.2-RC1. I'm getting some similar error though:
"Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8
Stopped plex due to DHCP failure"

bundlepax

Cadet
Try to install the Plex.Beta and
un-tick the option for DHCP.
Use NAT

My system is using a round robin multi Ethernet cords on a static IP from DHCP.
This was the only I could get it to work share the IP of the Server.

bundlepax

Cadet
ALSO when you use NAT to successfully install plex.

make sure you port forward 32400 Jail to 32400 host in Networknig config in the Jail for Plex.
i used TCP 32400 to TCP 32400
and UDP 32400 UDP 32400

ALSO when you use NAT to successfully install plex.

make sure you port forward 32400 Jail to 32400 host in Networknig config in the Jail for Plex.
i used TCP 32400 to TCP 32400
and UDP 32400 UDP 32400
Thank you so much! That fixed everything for me. New to TrueNAS and also couldn't get my DHCP option to work same as the OP.

Must seem like a common sense thing, but my level of knowledge is definitely out of depth here. For now I am just glad the solution works, however I hope to learn more in the future as to avoid such challenges. Thanks!

Sabot68

Dabbler
A Big Thank you from me as well, I also had issues with trying to get Plex up and running, it first failed to install when DHCP was selected, then with NAT selected it would install but the 'manage' link would not work, put forwarding these ports fixed it. So is there a BUG that needs fixing???

Last edited:

milky_moth

Cadet
Thank you so much!
This really helped me out - ive been pulling my hair out about this all day!