DHCP not working - Jails

R0NlN

Cadet
Hi,

I am currently trying to set up UrBackup, so I can back up my PC to TrueNAS.

First I tried setting it up with the community plugin, but there the UrBackup server didn't recognize the client on my PC.

So, as I read in this thread of UrBackup-Forum, community plugins are not always up to date and therefore not working properly.

So I tried setting it up myself via a jail.

There I followed the instructions of UrBackup, but I didn't get a connection to the server. As read in the Thread posted above, the user got this problem resolved by configuring the jail with DHCP and not NAT.

My problem is I can't configure my jail with DHCP because I get this error:

Error: [EFAULT] + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: ERROR, check jail logs Stopped urbj due to DHCP failure

When configuring manually or with NAT I get an Internet connection but can't connect to the UrBackup server when set up.

I don't know if the problem is really that I can't configure the jail with DHCP because I am still kind of a newbie with TrueNas.

I am using Truenas core version 13.0-U6.1

Screenshot of Jail:
1711981781769.png

Jolly

Cadet
Is truenas running native or under a different os like proxmox?

R0NlN

Cadet
Thanks for your reply Jolly!
My truenas system is running native on a dell server.

Jolly

Cadet
Sorry I realized I have mine set with a static IP

My guess however is while it's sharing the network card it may not be generating its own new MAC address and that's where you're running to issues trying to set it via DHCP.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Bridged VNET jails have their own MAC address. It's created automatically but saved in the jail config so it's static after first launch and moves when the jail moves (e.g. to a different host). Must change if you manually copy the jail.