Intended behavior? - SCALE behaves differently depending on if I choose rust or ssd pools for apps

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
I've experienced a behavior both in 21.06 and now in 21.08 which I really understand.

If I choose my ssd pool for apps storage, SCALE only create one dataset - ix-applications. But if I choose a rust pool, SCALE will create the ix-applications dataset as well as sub-datasets for each application i install.

Both pools are two-disk mirrored pools with more or less the same configuration - I think only recordsize if different between the two.

Is this by design?

I prefer the behavior of the rust scenario but I would rather have my apps installed on ssds.

EDIT: See post #2. The system DOES create datasets under ix-applications when the ssd pool is created. They just don't show up in the webUI as datasets.

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It should be doing the same thing on both pools, it doesn't care if its SSD or Rust in this case. Did you get the apps fully spun up on the SSD's and still didn't see the various datasets created, or were they still going to the Rust pool by mistake? That could be a bug if so.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
Yes I've spun up several truecharts apps (Nextclout, Traefik, Collabora, External Services, etc.) and no datasets beneath ix-applications have been created for those containers.

EDIT: I ran zfs list -r ssd1/ix-applications in the terminal, and in fact the complete folder structure beneath IS created as datasets. They just don't show up in the webUI - neither in the storage section or in the Data protection > Periodic Snapshot Tasks section, and therefore I mistook them for being regular folders. However this still means that I cannot use the webUI to create periodic snapshots of individual apps.

Last edited: