Installing Ubiquiti UniFi Controller in a jail

Installing Ubiquiti UniFi Controller in a jail

Baenwort

Explorer
Do I need to wipe out and reconfigure all of my jails or can I just wipe, make new, and restore this single jail?

Baenwort

Explorer
This almost certainly has to do with you having FreeBSD-10 based jails on a FreeBSD-11 based operating system.

OPtions that come to mind:

1) You could blow away your jails and make new FreeNAS-11 based jails.
2) You can see if someone else with a second opinion and a decent idea for doing this the "right" way without blowing away your jails shows up.
3) There is a "hack" in this thread that almost certainly will work, with the appropriate modification: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/trouble-update-ports-jail-after-9-10-upgrade.42250/

As a temp while I hope someone comes up with a better answer I used "setenv UNAME_r 10.3-Release" from your third suggestion to at least get the unifi controller in the jail updated for now.

vilane

Dabbler
Not sure if it's still necessary or not, but when unifi pulls in the mongodb package dependency, you may want/need to configure the default mongodb (not attached to unifi) to not autostart. This would then cull a second mongodb instance from running inside your jail and save you some resources (not that an empty db instance is going to consume a lot). below is what I used on a Pi, may need translation into FreeBSD for the NAS jail.

Code:
echo 'ENABLE_MONGODB=no' | sudo tee -a /etc/mongodb.conf > /dev/null

tgsekhar

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure that I am missing something and it's most likely the storage for the jails. I'm new at this and for the life of me cannot seem to make the storage and permissions of the jail to work for this install. I have done the steps as described 4 times and each time I am left with it being unable to find the required file or not being able to execute. Actually, I'm pretty sure that I am screwing up the storage portion and the permissions for the jail. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated in a small tutorial.

tgsekhar

Dabbler
I have a install I built for this https://github.com/TechButton/unifi-controller-freebsd-freenas currently setup to install 5.5.14, this will install snappy java as well. I wrote this to do upgrades as well, backs up your install and then restores the files after the upgrade. You can modify the file with the new version on the forums or I will keep updating this install, I try to get to it every few weeks.

Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)
type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Unifi installation
type: jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)
type: fetch -o install-unifi.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/T...freenas/master/install-unifi/install-unifi.sh
type: chmod 755 install-unifi.sh
type: ./install-unifi.sh

Thank you very much for this. After beating my brains in with other options, I came across this and the install was a breeze. So much so that I installed it on my office server and moved my home controller on to that one. Has been working since this morning without a hitch.

Couple of questions...if I reboot FreeNAS after an update or whatever, will the controller come back up automatically or do I have to manually restart the service. Second, when there is an update to Unifi, what would be the method to get the latest stable release?

Once again, thank you very much for such a quick and simple method.

Last edited by a moderator:

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Nice job m0nkey! Very well done!

Candle

Dabbler
Anyone else having trouble accessing this controller through Unifi Cloud remotely? Also, 3 gigs for this jail seems like a lot, am I missing something?

m0nkey_

MVP
Anyone else having trouble accessing this controller through Unifi Cloud remotely?
Can't say I use this feature, however I wouldn't be surprised that it doesn't work as it may require something not available in FreeBSD or included as part of the port.
Also, 3 gigs for this jail seems like a lot, am I missing something?
UniFi has a dependency on LLVM and OpenJDK. These two requirements alone push up the disk space requirements.

Candle

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick response. I guess it will teach me how to get Ubuntu running in a VM to load Unifi that way.

appoli

Dabbler
Anyone else having trouble accessing this controller through Unifi Cloud remotely? Also, 3 gigs for this jail seems like a lot, am I missing something?

I think I was able to access it when I first installed unifi a couple months back.
But as of late it’s been no dice....I kept seeing posts saying it was java so I updated all that stuff recently and still nothing.

My emby jail needs to be restarted daily and b/c of this I’m thinking there may be some networking issue? (Couple devices are also unable to access smb shares too....all of which worked fine in corral, when I first got FreeNAS).
I tried a nightly recently since it seems like the beta is almost good to go. Looks like a big change to smb and nothing could connect to the shares.... boo

cleansman

Cadet
Hi,

thanks for the tutorial, everything was working fine for me for the last couple of months, but now I am having problems with the update process.

I am getting the following error message:

Code:
Building new INDEX files... done.																								 
root@unifi:/ # cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5																						
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # service unifi stop																		
unifi not running? (check /var/run/unifi/unifi.pid).																				
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # make reinstall clean																		
===>   unifi5-5.6.24 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found																 
===> Fetching all distfiles required by unifi5-5.6.24 for building																
===>  Extracting for unifi5-5.6.24																								
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for unifi5-5.6.24/UniFi.unix.zip.																			
===>  Patching for unifi5-5.6.24																									
/bin/rm -f /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/UniFi/lib/snappy-java-1.1.2.6.jar														
(cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/UniFi/lib && /bin/ln -s /usr/local/share/java/classes/snappy-java.jar snappy-java-1.1.2.6.jar)
===>  Configuring for unifi5-5.6.24																								
===>  Staging for unifi5-5.6.24																									
===>   unifi5-5.6.24 depends on package: mongodb>0 - found																		
===>   unifi5-5.6.24 depends on package: snappyjava>0 - found																	 
===>   unifi5-5.6.24 depends on file: /usr/local/openjdk8/bin/java - found														
===>   Generating temporary packing list																							
===> Creating groups.																											 
===> Creating users																												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi													
(cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/UniFi && /bin/sh -c '(/usr/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 | /usr/bin/cpio -dumpl $2 >/dev/null 2>&1) &&  /us
r/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 \(   -type d -exec /bin/sh -c '\''cd '\''$2'\'' && chmod 755 "$@"'\'' . {} +  -o -type f -exec /bin/sh -c '\''c
d '\''$2'\'' && chmod 0644 "$@"'\'' . {} + \)' COPYTREE_SHARE \* /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi/)
/bin/ln -sf /usr/local/bin/mongod /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi/bin/mongod					 
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/data												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/logs												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/run												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/work												
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)																						
===> Staging rc.d startup script(s)																								
===>  Installing for unifi5-5.6.24																								
===>   Registering installation for unifi5-5.6.24																				 
*** Error code 70																												 

Stop.																															 
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5																					
*** Error code 1																													

Stop.																															 
make: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5																						
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 #						 

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

cleansman

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi,

thanks for the tutorial, everything was working fine for me for the last couple of months, but now I am having problems with the update process.

I am getting the following error message:

Code:
Building new INDEX files... done.																								
root@unifi:/ # cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5																						
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # service unifi stop																		
unifi not running? (check /var/run/unifi/unifi.pid).																				
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # make reinstall clean																		
===>   unifi5-5.6.24 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found																
===> Fetching all distfiles required by unifi5-5.6.24 for building																
===>  Extracting for unifi5-5.6.24																								
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for unifi5-5.6.24/UniFi.unix.zip.																			
===>  Patching for unifi5-5.6.24																									
/bin/rm -f /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/UniFi/lib/snappy-java-1.1.2.6.jar														
(cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/UniFi/lib && /bin/ln -s /usr/local/share/java/classes/snappy-java.jar snappy-java-1.1.2.6.jar)
===>  Configuring for unifi5-5.6.24																								
===>  Staging for unifi5-5.6.24																									
===>   Generating temporary packing list																							
===> Creating groups.																											
===> Creating users																												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi													
(cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/UniFi && /bin/sh -c '(/usr/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 | /usr/bin/cpio -dumpl $2 >/dev/null 2>&1) &&  /us
r/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 \(   -type d -exec /bin/sh -c '\''cd '\''$2'\'' && chmod 755 "$@"'\'' . {} +  -o -type f -exec /bin/sh -c '\''c
d '\''$2'\'' && chmod 0644 "$@"'\'' . {} + \)' COPYTREE_SHARE \* /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi/)
/bin/ln -sf /usr/local/bin/mongod /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi/bin/mongod					
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/data												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/logs												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/run												
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/work												
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)																						
===> Staging rc.d startup script(s)																								
*** Error code 70																												

Stop.																															
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5																					
*** Error code 1																													

Stop.																															

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

cleansman
try make deinstall reinstall all clean

cleansman

Cadet
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

This worked like a charm:

Code:
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # make deinstall reinstall all clean														
===>  Deinstalling for unifi5																									 
===>   Deinstalling unifi5-5.5.24																								 
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)																						
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):									

Installed packages to be REMOVED:																								 
	   unifi5-5.5.24																											 

Number of packages to be removed: 1																								

The operation will free 201 MiB.																									
[unifi] [1/1] Deinstalling unifi5-5.5.24...																						
[unifi] [1/1] Deleting files for unifi5-5.5.24: 100%																				
==> You should manually remove the "unifi" user.																					
==> You should manually remove the "unifi" group																					
[unifi] Installing unifi5-5.6.24...																								
===> Creating groups.																											 
Using existing group 'unifi'.																									 
===> Creating users																												
Using existing user 'unifi'.																										
echo: write error on stdout																										
===>  Cleaning for unifi5-5.6.24																									
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # service unifi start																		
Starting unifi.																													

Thank you very much!

cleansman

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I suggest making a script in your jail and use that to update.
Code:
#!/bin/sh																														   

portsnap fetch update && cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/ && make deinstall reinstall clean && service unifi restart

AVSION

Contributor
Hi, after update to v 5.6.24 i get an error STUN Communication failed on all my sites, i checked port 3478 and its still closed. this port was closed in v 5.5.20 and other older versions but i didn't get that error. also i did open this port on my ERL router long time ago but when i checked it always showed closed. can you please let me know how to fix this error?

EDIT: ports 8080,8443,8880,8843 are all open when i test them

Last edited:

tgsekhar

Dabbler
I suggest making a script in your jail and use that to update.
Code:
#!/bin/sh																														  

portsnap fetch update && cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/ && make deinstall reinstall clean && service unifi restart

Worked like a charm! Many, many thanks.

Icy1211

Cadet

I can't get Unifi Cloud access working either with this jail install. Anyone have any ideas? I heard one way to get is to do VM ware with Ubuntu instead.

WayneC1972

Dabbler
I got this error. Any assistance would be appreciated.

root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # make install clean BATCH=yes
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Stop.

ThreeDee

Guru
getting the same error and now cant reinstall :(