Installer stuck

Melrok

Cadet
Hello,

After toying with a TrueNAS CORE installed in an old PC, I bought new hardware for a new server, but TrueNAS CORE won't install…
I tried the 13.0-U6 but it always stuck with a black screen with a white cursor. In normal console mode the last message is:
Dual Console: Serial Primary, Video Secondary.
Root mount waiting for: usbus0 da
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Generic Flash Disk 8.07> Removable Direct Access SPC-2 SPC-2 SCSI device
da0: Serial Number 00B9ECCD
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 7431MB (15218688 512 byte sectors)
da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>
da0: Delete methods: <NONE(*),ZERO>
GEOM: new disk da0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0):PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL not supported.
GEOM: da0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
GEOM: iso9660/TRUENAS: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
ugen0.3: <Logitech USB Receiver> at usbus0
ukbd0 on uhub0
ukbd0: <Logitech USB Receiver, class 0/0, rev 2.00/29.01, addr 2> on usbus0
kbd2 at ukbd0
kbd2: ukbd0, generic (0), config:0x0, flags:0x3d0000
ums0 on uhub0
ums0: <Logitech USB Receiver, class 0/0, rev 2.00/29.01, addr 2> on usbus0
ums0: 18 buttons and [XYZT] coordinates ID=2
ugen0.4: <ASRock LED Controller> at usbus0
uhid0 on uhub0
uhid0: <ASRock LED Controller, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 3> on usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.5: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0aa7> at usbus0
cd9660: RockRidge Extension
md0 attached to /data/base.ufs.uzip
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0.uzip [rw]...
efirtc0: providing initial system time
Dual Console: Serial Primary, Video Secondary
start_init: trying /sbin/init

My hardware:
- ASRock H610M-ITX/ac (I don't plan to use their wifi things)
- Intel Core i3 12100 (integrated GPU)
- 2×8Gb DDR4 Lexar
- M2 250Gb PNY
- and 4 HDD of 4Tb each
- during installation there were the 8Gb usb stick and 1 usb for keyboard+mouse (the logitech in the verbose output)

I tried several OS. All TrueNAS BSD were stuck, all Linux succeed without any issues and FreeBSD proceed the installation:
- FreeNAS-11.2-U8.iso
- FreeNAS-11.3-U3.iso
- FreeNAS-11.3-U5.iso
- TrueNAS-12.0-U1.iso
- TrueNAS-13.0-U6.iso
- TrueNAS-13.1-MASTER-202311280816-a0b2df9.iso
- TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1.iso
- ubuntu-22.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
- ubuntu-22.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso
- FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

I think of 3 possibles explanations:
- hardware incompatible with TrueNAS CORE, which I find strange (if it requires a separated GPU for example)
- I didn't wait enough, perhaps the installation is very slow and stuck for more than 15min for a strange reason
- I didn't configured the BIOS correctly, but even there I tried and didn't see any option to change.

Does someone have a clue?

I really prefer TrueNAS CORE over SCALE, even if I can install more tools in a Linux machine than BSD…

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I bought new hardware for a new server
So why did you buy inappropriate hardware? If you'd asked, you would have been told to stick with actual server hardware - one of the reasons being quirks around the local console.

You could probably work around this by changing the default console or the video mode... But perhaps the quickest solution is to do the install process on another machine and move the boot disk over once it's installed and minimally configured.

Melrok

Cadet
So why did you buy inappropriate hardware?
What do you mean? I looked at the hardware recommendations and didn't see any conflicts. What piece is inappropriate here ?
And my first experience was in an old normal PC and TrueNAS work very well on it…

How could I change the console or video mode? The only things I can change seems to be the boot options, so Safe Mode, Single User and Verbose.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What piece is inappropriate here ?
The motherboard sticks out like a sore thumb. It's an unspectacular lowish-end desktop board, though there's a lot worse out there.

Redcoat

MVP

Melrok

Cadet
The motherboard sticks out like a sore thumb. It's an unspectacular lowish-end desktop board, though there's a lot worse out there.
Ok but can you be more precise? TrueNAS CORE can be installed in a desktop motherboard since I did it, so what make this desktop motherboard incompatible with TrueNAS? Is there a special component (hard or soft) missing?
As a reminder FreeBSD installer works with my motherboard, so it's not a BSD problem. I wonder why TrueNAS CORE is not yet compatible…
And if you can explain how to change default console or video mode I would appreciate it. I didn't find anything about it for the TrueNAS installer.

I'll try to put an external GPU, could it help?
No. I could modify more things in my BIOS but I had the exact same problem.

I looked at the motherboard manual. Did you turn off fast boot?
Of course! I tried for record and I can't even try to install with fast boot. I don't know why and don't care.
I'll have to see if there are some hidden options to change, the internet manual is more complete than the one I received with the motherboard.

Last edited:

jmejia

Cadet
@Melrok any luck with this? I'm here with a fresh build and having the same problem. ASUS H610I-plusd4 here. If there's a chipset incompatiblity it would be great to know - and if there's a workaround for this that would be even better to know. Can anyone provide some insight?

Melrok

Cadet
@Melrok any luck with this?
No.
You can try changing the console, but it didn't change anything for me, or it was even worse. A GPU didn't change anything either.
When booting go to prompt console, type set console= to see the valid options like efi and comconsole. Set the console you want and boot with boot -v -h (I don't know about the options, I just copied from somewhere in the forum).
If you find documentation somewhere out of the source code I want it.

If there is a solution, I think it has to deal with the console, and it's a TrueNAS CORE problem.
When I installed FreeBSD 13 (the one used for TrueNAS 13 I suppose), the installer asked me to provide a path to a console, otherwise the default would be something like /bin/sh. It happened at the exact same moment where TrueNAS installer is stuck.
So either TrueNAS forgot to import that part of the code with all it shall bring and I want to know when they'll do it, or there is a good reason why it will not be imported and I want to know why.
The worse in this story is that when the FreeBSD installer starts the console you chose, you can just exit from it and the installation continues without any problem…

I'm still wondering what I'll install, between TrueNAS SCALE, Linux with OpenVZ or simply FreeBSD (because I find jails comfortable). I don't know what TrueNAS SCALE uses as a jail in Linux, I'll search later. This case has tired me.

@Ericloewe I would appreciate an answer for my question above, or more generally: which components or characteristics (hard or soft) allow to check if a motherboard is or not compatible with TrueNAS CORE? Or does it deserve a whole thread?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@Ericloewe I would appreciate an answer for my question above, or more generally: which components or characteristics (hard or soft) allow to check if a motherboard is or not compatible with TrueNAS CORE? Or does it deserve a whole thread?
It's not a simple topic, but there are a few common pain points:

Stuff that gets worked out over time
  • Graphics, console and related
  • Specific drivers (new chipset component, new Ethernet NIC, etc.)
  • Innovative CPU changes (asymmetric cores, weird power management quirks, etc.)
  • Weird UEFI bugs and other quirks
Stuff that does not get worked out over time
  • Useless components (audio mostly, these days)
  • Weird UEFI bugs and other quirks (yes, this one belongs to both)
  • Other platform oddities
Buying a very recent desktop board opens you up to about 5-7 of these 7 points. Buying a very recent server board open you up to 2-4 points instead:
  • Graphics are simple ASPeed or Matrox-derived framebuffer devices, essentially unchanged for many years.
  • By the time server hardware shows up, drivers are generally somewhat mature (with some exceptions, notably FreeBSD 9.x did not have a suitable XHCI driver, and thus was something of a pain to use on Intel Skylake platforms which moved even USB 2.0 ports to XHCI controllers)
  • Less craziness inside the CPUs
  • The weirdest UEFI bugs were probably caught in server-specific QA, which is not the same as "Windows gaming machine QA"
  • No real useless components on a server board
  • Some effort is made to maintain more stable firmware (in the sense that it changes less, not that it crashes less)
  • The people designing servers tend to avoid things that people buying servers find weird.

Beyond this, a server board is one sold as such, and a line in the sand would not be super easy to draw.

Derob

Cadet
I’m trying Truenas for a home setup, and ran into the same issue. I am not into building servers for hobby, and just need a performant storage solution. And yes, I am using consumer grade hardware (no IPMI, no COM). Given that most ‘help’ here seems more focused at bashing people with a genuine question for their use of ‘non-server’ hardware (which nevertheless is perfectly in spec given the specifications on the website, neither IPMI nor an old COM interface is anywhere required)

I thought hard myself googled some more and found a solution.

Press 3 in the boot menu to ge to the prompt, type ‘set boot_serial=NO’, type ‘Menu’ and from the menu select 1 - which got at least me finally to the installer. This is not hardware related but seems rather an oversight in the parameters.

I am now stuck with the next issue, truenas doesn’t recognise my NIC.There is no warning in the documentation that support for NICs is very limited. Although nobody has bothered to list supported NICs, googling 10 GbE models that do not have apparent issues with Truenas, yields some long obsolete and expensive intel NICs. They are PCIE v2 8x, which aren’t useable in my scenario, I need my free pcie for (indeed server grade) SAS/SATA (and, no, there isn’t a GPU stuck in one those)

Now I think of it I see no serious use case for TrueNAS core given its adherence to old hardware and chasing people like me to expensive server hardware. This is pointless as it would mean for my scenario I am better off buying an off-the-shelf functioning solution such as made by Synology and the like. Anyone else will consider the Scale and enterprise solutions (I will still see where Scale brings me).

Cheers!

sretalla