I give up, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
its more confusing than anything.
What particular questions do you have? Work with us here. Single-sentence questions make for very slow, and very poor, communication. And "I don't understand" or "it's confusing", without more detail, just aren't useful questions.
can you plz explain why don't need a cache drive?
Can you explain why you think you do?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hi, Jailer, can you plz explain why don't need a cache drive?
This has been discussed at length multiple times on the forum. Use the search function.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Intel Core i3 -4130T 2.9GHz LGA 1150 (if I’m not wrong the T is for NAS)
Google failed me, I didn't even find that model processor but the very idea that Intel is making a 'T' model processor that is intended for use in a NAS just sounds wrong to me. You would need to point out some documentation for that claim.

Correction, I took the dash out and it came right up. The Intel datasheet says it is for the 'Desktop' market segment. I know that Intel makes some specialty items, but I don't think this is one.

X10 western digital Red 3 TB Internal 5400RPM 3.5" WD3001FFSX NAS (THE only smart choice I have made!!!)
Not really. When it comes to price per gigabyte of storage, the 8TB drives are the best at this time. Is there some reason you wanted to have 10 drives? I see that you want a RAID-z2 array but you would be much better served by 8 drives so they could all be connected to the same controller.

Did you already purchase all this hardware or is this just a wish list? Do you want suggestions on what to use or do you just want someone to tell you why one thing is preferable over another? The main reason why, is because it is known to work reliably. In much the same way that the reason, "why not," is because the item in question doesn't work or not reliably. Experience and a lot of research are how the answers come.

Last edited:

cardona1068

Dabbler
Why, because the recommendations work.
Sometimes its just a matter of reliability, other times it is because it is just known to be a working solution.
If you pick other hardware, you may find that it doesn't work at all or that it creates a unstable system.
In the end, it is far easier to list the known working part than to list all the options that do not work and why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Chris,The recommended list that you gave me is what I need I understand that. I just need to understand what parts are compatible with what and why. i'm in the little obsession side of understanding why things work not just to put parts together. I truly appreciate you passing on your
knowledge.

cardona1068

Dabbler
It's because of the functionality that you propose. It just isn't necessary.

so you are saying that it is done but for my specific build it is not necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:

cardona1068

Dabbler
Sorry I must have not understood the T on 'Desktop' market segment. as far as the HDD I have x8, but Sunday I watched a YouTube (How to Build a FreeNAS® by Know How (TWiT.TV) he said it is recommended X10 HDD so I was about to order X2 more.

cardona1068

Dabbler
Because of all you guy that know better, I am in the process of getting the right components and selling what i got wrong. not a bad thing just making error in the process of learning and I thank all you guys for your help.

cardona1068

Dabbler
What particular questions do you have? Work with us here. Single-sentence questions make for very slow, and very poor, communication. And "I don't understand" or "it's confusing", without more detail, just aren't useful questions.

Can you explain why you think you do?
Like I mention before I have been for weeks now (after realizing I got everything wrong) somewhere in my search I read that one of the component is a SSD as a cache drive.

cardona1068

Dabbler
base on Danb recomendatios list "Popular models include the SAS 9207 series" and the recomended list you gave me "I found this LSI 9300-8i PCI-Express 3.0 SATA / SAS 8-Port SAS3 12Gb/s HBA - Single--Avago Technologies" I gather this much. my question here is I got a lsi 9361 in the first place just because of the 12gb compared to a 6gb card, if i'm trying to stream from 2-3 devices at the same time to the NAS do I need the 12gb? and if so is the LSI 9300 a better choice?

danb35

Hall of Famer
he said it is recommended X10 HDD
If he said that, you can pretty well ignore anything else he says. Ten disks isn't a bad configuration, but it's far from "the recommended" configuration--there are many perfectly valid ways to configure your disks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
if i'm trying to stream from 2-3 devices at the same time to the NAS do I need the 12gb?
No, your disks are going to be the limiting factor, as is your network connection. SAS2 is fine. But if I were buying today, I'd probably go for SAS3 (the 3008-based cards) unless that was significantly more expensive.

cardona1068

Dabbler
No, your disks are going to be the limiting factor, as is your network connection. SAS2 is fine. But if I were buying today, I'd probably go for SAS3 (the 3008-based cards) unless that was significantly more expensive.
My connection is Comcast 1gb speed. the prices are 3008 = average $260.00, the
LSI LOGIC SAS 9207-8i average is $169.00

danb35

Hall of Famer
My connection is Comcast 1gb speed.
I was thinking more of your LAN connection, but that's also almost certainly 1 Gbit too.
the prices are 3008 = average $260.00
I'm seeing quite a bit less on eBay, but with sellers from China. Some folks are concerned about counterfeit cards from there.

cardona1068

Dabbler
So based on this post from FreeNAS "FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide" I found this motherboard Supermicro X11SSL-F" base on this post "So you want some hardware suggestions" I found this RAM "Kingston Technology Micron A Server Memory (KVR24E17D8/16MA)" Supermicro does not have Kingston as a recommended RAM but FreeNAS does. My question is, is this a good brand and RAM? or should I go with supermicro recommendation? also, what are you thoughts on this motherboard?

cardona1068

Dabbler
I was thinking more of your LAN connection, but that's also almost certainly 1 Gbit too.

I'm seeing quite a bit less on eBay, but with sellers from China. Some folks are concerned about counterfeit cards from there.
Its $250 les than the Lsi 9361 I got LOL

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
so your saying that it is done but for my specific build it is not necessary?
Correct. There are situations where it is helpful but it would not be useful for your build.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry I must have not understood the T on 'Desktop' market segment. as far as the HDD I have x8, but Sunday I watched a YouTube (How to Build a FreeNAS[emoji768] by Know How (TWiT.TV) he said it is recommended X10 HDD so I was about to order X2 more.
The question is, how much storage you will need? Having more drives could be better, but it depends on the purpose of the storage and the way the pool is defined.

cardona1068

Dabbler
The question is, how much storage you will need? Having more drives could be better, but it depends on the purpose of the storage and the way the pool is defined.

I am not quite sure about that, I have X2 external HDD of 3tb full of movies, pictures and data. so I thought that X8 HDD of 3tb would be more than enough at lest for now.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am not quite sure about that, I have X2 external HDD of 3tb full of movies, pictures and data. so I thought that X8 HDD of 3tb would be more than enough at lest for now.
8 x 3TB drives in a RAID-z2 pool should give you almost 15TB of storage space with almost 12TB of usable storage.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The thing about hard drives is, the internal transfer rate (mechanical speed) is usually limited to between 150MB/s and 250MB/s... Either of those speeds are much less that the 6GB/s of SATA or SAS2. Which means that there is not much reason to have a faster controller, like SAS3, especially if it is more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.