Help! Can’t boot into TRUENAS scale?

billym394

Cadet
Hi everyone, I’m new to TRUENAS scale. however, I am not able to boot into TRUENAS scale as I was able to about a week ago, and now I am getting this message saying that it failed to import boot pool. Can anyone help with this and what should I do? I can’t get past the command line and don’t know any commands. Here’s a picture of what I get. Thanks in advance for all your help Billy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 102

Arwen

MVP
Please review the Forum Rules above... They include details on how to make a good post for requesting help. A complete hardware list is helpful.

For example, if you are using a USB flash drive as the boot device, a great many of them are less than reliable.

aaronajp

Cadet
Hey, did you ever find a solution for this? I am having the EXACT same issue and can't find an answer anywhere.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hey, did you ever find a solution for this? I am having the EXACT same issue and can't find an answer anywhere.
The same applies to you and everyone. More information is good and helpful.

aaronajp

Cadet
I am having the same issue, basically same screenshot as original poster.

5955WX
Asus Sage II WRX80 motherboard
256gb ram
3 pools (Pool 1: 8 - 18tb drives in 2 mirrored 4 drive Z1 pools, Pool 2: Mirrored apps pool, Pool 3: Plex Optane Transcoding drive)
25gbe network

Same issue, can not find the pool. I believe the boot-pool is on my Pool 3 optane drive as when upgrading the system I forgot to put the drive in and I received a similar message. After putting the drive in, everything worked fine and I was able to use the system normally. A few days later after a couple reboots, I started to receive the same message as the original poster. Initially I was able to manually import Pool 1 & 2 (3 was nowhere to be seen), but now it shows no pools at all. When I was able to import through the initramfs interface, I was still not able to boot truenas and was stuck in that interface.

My fear is that the Optane drive has somehow been wiped. I still see the drive in the MB bios however, so I know the system still sees it as intact. Any ideas here?

Davvo

MVP
Same issue, can not find the pool. I believe the boot-pool is on my Pool 3 optane drive as when upgrading the system I forgot to put the drive in and I received a similar message.
Using the boot pool for anything different than running TN is not supported.

aaronajp

Cadet
Using the boot pool for anything different than running TN is not supported.

Sorry let me clarify, I have TN running on a sata SSD drive. I only thought "boot-pool" was on the Pool 3 Optane drive because it was unable to be located by the system until I put that drive in earlier.

Davvo

MVP
It might be that the SSD is dying and has entered read-only mode (common SSD firmware behaviour).
Install TN on another drive, import your pools, import your config backup (which I hope you have), and you have likely resolved your issue.

aaronajp

Cadet
It might be that the SSD is dying and has entered read-only mode (common SSD firmware behaviour).
Install TN on another drive, import your pools, import your config backup (which I hope you have), and you have likely resolved your issue.
Good idea, I will try this tonight.

aaronajp

Cadet
And yes, luckily I do backup my config before any changes that are made or monthly, whichever is shorter. I actually backed it up yesterday an hour before this started thank god.

aaronajp

Cadet
Thanks, I reinstalled then restored my config file, I am back up and running and added my new pool.