I give up, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletDragon

Patron
No issues that you know about anyway. Which is the point of ECC. It's another check on the system to make sure you don't have data corruption. If your data is in the ARC and a bit flips and is then read, well, there is data corruption you don't know about.

ECC is not necessary. Obviously the system will run. But it is recommended for a reason, and we should be clear about that point to folks new to FreeNAS.

I know about that yep. But what about motherboards that doesnt support ECC or short supply of RAM? RAM prices here in the UK is just crazy. Same with Motherboards and CPU the prices have gone up. One of the reasons why im using LGA1155 still because its just too expensive.

toadman

Guru
People can and do run without ECC, but it should be an informed choice. I didn't want an anecdote of "I'm running without ECC and don't have a problem" to be interpreted as "there is no issue if you run without ECC."

There is an issue, and each user should judge for themselves whether or not to implement ECC knowing those issues. That's all.

There are many use cases where I would probably not use ECC either, with decision factors like cost, the type of data being stored, and the required availability/reliability of the server being weighed in the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.