I am tired of plugin jails crapping the bed when I need to update them

Gorf

Dabbler
So here I am at the end of a loooooong morning trying to update my Duplicati plugin. I was updating the jail, and it just completely shit itself. The stream of text in the browser window was impossible to keep up with. Honestly I'm not even sure if it DID update correctly or completely. But, as is typical, now the plugin, in this case Duplicati, won't start:

Code:
root@Duplicati:~ # /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/local/share/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe
Unable to start up, perhaps another process is already running?
Error message: System.InvalidOperationException: object_op ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Method has no body
  at System.IO.CoreFX.FileSystemWatcher.StartRaisingEvents () [0x0001c] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at System.IO.CoreFX.FileSystemWatcher.StartRaisingEventsIfNotDisposed () [0x00019] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at System.IO.CoreFX.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents (System.Booleanvalue) [0x0001d] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.CoreFX.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents(bool)
  at System.IO.CoreFXFileSystemWatcherProxy+<>c.<StartDispatching>b__9_0 (System.IO.CoreFX.FileSystemWatcher internal_fsw, System.IO.FileSystemWatcher fsw) [0x00048] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at System.IO.CoreFXFileSystemWatcherProxy.Operation (System.Action`4[T1,T2,T3,T4] map_op, System.Action`2[T1,T2] object_op, System.Object handle, System.Action`2[T1,T2] cancel_op) [0x00184] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.IO.CoreFXFileSystemWatcherProxy.Operation (System.Action`4[T1,T2,T3,T4] map_op, System.Action`2[T1,T2] object_op, System.Object handle, System.Action`2[T1,T2] cancel_op) [0x001a6] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at System.IO.CoreFXFileSystemWatcherProxy.StartDispatching (System.Object handle) [0x00004] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.Start () [0x0001b] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0
  at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents (System.Boolean value)[0x0003d] in <3cd1e5eafcb04e86ab91ae63b4afeccc>:0

So, I'm completely stumped. Before I tear down this jail and start all over from scratch... again, can someone suggest anything to get this back online?

the jail says it is "12.3-RELEASE-p12" and the TrueNas Core is TrueNAS-12.0-U7. Please don't lecture me on the version. I don't have a NAS that is so disconnected from my network operations that I can just patch and reboot it willy nilly. I have a maintenance window coming up the week between Xmas and NY.

Last edited:
"Plugins" are deprecated on TrueNAS Core. They will eventually be outright removed in the future.

You'll have to create your own custom jail, which can be maintained with regular "pkg updates", "patch level updates", and less frequently base OS upgrades.

EDIT: Since there is no Duplicati FreeBSD port available on FreshPorts, this isn't as simple as using "pkg" to install and update the software. :frown:

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Gorf

Dabbler
Is managing my own Jail the preferred way to do this? Having something at the NAS OS layer is really what i want so that I'm not fighting permissions layers through a VM or mounting volumes. My first line of defense is simple data replication to another cheap NAS that I have onsite. But I ultimately want to be able to replicate that data offsite. We just use S3. But for that option I want to selectively exclude certain paths that is data that just isn't critical enough to backup that way.

I guess we could look at a migration onto TrueNAS Scale which would give me Linux in the OS and more options.

Davvo

MVP
Plugins are deprecated and support for them is planned only until 2025 so yes, having your own jail is the suggested option while staying with CORE.

I guess we could look at a migration onto TrueNAS Scale which would give me Linux in the OS and more options.
TN SCALE is not a distro but an appliance, you can't install new packets with apt or similar.

danb35

Hall of Famer
TN SCALE is not a distro but an appliance, you can't install new packets with apt or similar.
No, but TrueCharts has a Duplicati app.

Gorf

Dabbler
Yep.
Plugins are deprecated
Yep, that was pointed out above. However Scale has other better approaches to adding stuff like Duplicati through charts. it looks like from a production standpoint though that doing replication to a second system and then doing the offsite backup from that system is looking more and more like the desirable and flexible solution.