HP Proliant starting up automatically after power outage

Bgpgraebner

Cadet
Hello! This is my first time using Truenas (or any other file server for that matter) so please forgive me if I'm stuck on a basic problem.

I'm running Truenas Core on a Gen9 HP Proliant ML110. I've installed the computer in a business complex that has power outages at least once a week, and it's pretty common for me to stay 4-5 days away from said complex. When there's an outage, however, the server is automatically rebooting - and I'd like to set it up not to do that. Can anyone help with this setting?

Whattteva

Wizard
This isn't a TrueNAS question. This is a hardware question. TrueNAS does not shutdown/start your machine uncommanded on a whim. Invest in a UPS if you don't want it to shutdown when you lose power.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And to add to that, it's most likely a BIOS setting. But the alternative is that the NAS would go down and stay down--why would you want that?

And yes, you should invest in a UPS.

Bgpgraebner

Cadet
Well, I guess I should have thought about that sooner. Thanks everyone for your help - it was, in fact, a simple BIOS setting. Silly me.

As for why I would want it to stay down: the server is not running 24/7. It's set up at my video podcast studio for me to back up video files to. When I'm done recording, I start it up, store files, make it upload to Google Drive and then shut it down afterwards so it's not wasting electricity. I don't need to retrieve files from it that often, plus I can't have it running while recording because it's ABSURDLY loud in the small space I have it set up in. It's an archival server first and foremost.

@danb35 : It is a BIOS setting, the system can be set to do several things after a power loss including restart.

@Bgpgraebner : HP makes servers built like a tank, and from the NVRAM service logs they break just as often. You should seriously consider putting it on a UPS not just because it's a server but because it's an HP server and unexpected power loss can cause odd NVRAM issues that are not fun to fix.

Aside from that, here is where you want to change the settings to your preferences:
(click for larger images)

2022_1203_004309_041-Automatic Power-On-cropped.jpg 2022_1203_004312_042-Power-On Delay-cropped.jpg