Entire System Lost After Power Outage

wdrujaghmsn

Cadet
Hello,

Following a power outage, the motherboard for my TrueNAS system has failed entirely, which also took the USB disk I was using as a boot drive with it.
Following the power outage and realizing after rebooting that the system would not turn on, I disconnected the data drives entirely.
This was a small system with only two drives, one 256GB SSD and one 2TB HDD. Each drive had their own separate pool, no data was shared between them.
The system was running TrueNAS-12.0-U6.

I am currently attempting to recover the data from these drives in the mean time until I can build a new system.
Here is my current setup for recovery:

VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.0
TrueNAS-12.0-U6 (Same ISO file I used to install the broken system)
Physical drive passthrough to the virtual machine using a SATA to USB adapter
I am currently testing theories using the SSD as it contained mostly non-critical data that was backed up elsewhere.
I will not plug in the HDD until I have a verified way to recover the data from it.

Obviously this is not an ideal setup but it is all I have available to me at the moment.

Where I am stuck:
When attempting to import the pool that exists on the drive, nothing shows up.
Annotation 2023-03-17 192849.png

The disk does show up under Disks as da1:
Annotation 2023-03-17 192603.png

Code:
zpool status -v
output:
Annotation 2023-03-17 192959.png

Code:
zpool import
output:
Annotation 2023-03-17 193110.png

I am simply lost on what the next steps would be to get the data off these drives.

I greatly appreciate any help I can get, thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Critically missing here is what the original setup looked like, in particular regarding how the disks were connected.

wdrujaghmsn

Cadet
Critically missing here is what the original setup looked like, in particular regarding how the disks were connected.
Original PC used an old consumer ASUS motherboard. The disks were connected directly to the motherboard SATA ports.

Arwen

MVP
Did the original setup use VMWare as well?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, I don't like the VM part of this, it's adding noise and throwing in annoying variables.

With some luck, this was just a hot-plug thing, so reboot the system with the disk attached and passed through, make sure it's available from the first moment of boot, and see what happens.

wdrujaghmsn

Cadet
Yeah, I don't like the VM part of this, it's adding noise and throwing in annoying variables.

With some luck, this was just a hot-plug thing, so reboot the system with the disk attached and passed through, make sure it's available from the first moment of boot, and see what happens.
I managed to scrap together some hardware to put together a temporary PC to install on bare metal. I was successfully able to get my data. I did have a permission issue on the datasets, however stripping the ACLs on them did the trick.

Thanks for making me think straight @Ericloewe !