Power outage incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpa_us

Cadet
Hello,
I recently had an issue with my server due to a sudden power outage while the server was on, I know that power outages could compromise the health of a HDD so I'm thinking that the hard disc drives could now be with a case of bad sectors or even in a worst situation since that as of right now I cannot access the server nor the drives anymore via the remote server system.
So I was wondering if I can run diagnostics on the HDD using a windows based computer, I would remove the drives and one by one, connect to the the PC and I would check their health integrity using diagnostics tools readable by windows operating system, would the windows operating system be able to recognize the drives? Or are the drives in a format that only your operating system can read them? If that is the case, do you have any type of troubleshooting tools for diagnostics and recovery?

Thank you very much.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The storage drives have GPT partitioning with ZFS in a partition. Windows has no clue about ZFS, but could run SMART utilities on those drives.

Power failures do not usually case hardware failures with modern hard drives.

Before you start disassembling, connect a monitor to it and see what it says while booting. Maybe it was just assigned a different IP address through DHCP.

Serpa_us

Cadet
The storage drives have GPT partitioning with ZFS in a partition. Windows has no clue about ZFS, but could run SMART utilities on those drives.

Power failures do not usually case hardware failures with modern hard drives.

Before you start disassembling, connect a monitor to it and see what it says while booting. Maybe it was just assigned a different IP address through DHCP.

Thank you for your reply.
I ran the SMART tests and it shows that the drives indeed are fine.
When I try to boot, it shows BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
then... several rows of number and then...
BTX halted

I did check the computer bios and SATA is set to AHCI. I even tried to change it back to IDE and then back to AHCI, but with the same result.
I know how to check the IP number from my router's setting, but I do not know how to check what IP is set for this installation, to confirm if it is the same.
I have an old version of Freeness, and I wonder if I should just reinstall a newer one on this USB and would resolve everything + bring up to date. Should I do this? I just do not want to lose any files from the actual storage drives.

Thanks

wblock

Documentation Engineer
BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
then... several rows of number and then...
BTX halted
There are probably some important text messages in there.

I would not try to run any storage on that computer until hardware failure (RAM or power supply) could be ruled out.

gpsguy

Do check out your hardware as wblock suggested.

My guess, is that your FreeNAS installation is corrupt, especially if you had it on a flash drive. I would reinstall the original version on a new flash drive. You can find older versions here: http://download.freenas.org/

Hopefully you have a backup of your configuration file, so you can restore the configuration. If not, hopefully you can import the pool and then reconfigure the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.