Power Outage and Storage Pool Offine

eeldna 2nd

Dabbler
Hi,

I had a power outage this morning. Freenas reported the following.
freenas.local had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online

However, the Dashboard is saying
and
Data is not available

From the shell, I ran zool import and received the following
Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to
the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

root@freenas:~ # zpool import
pool: FOUR-T
id: 14879227008723321572
state: ONLINE
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
config:

FOUR-T ONLINE
raidz1-0 ONLINE
gptid/f79be1de-83c4-11ea-bd9c-e83935209a2d ONLINE
gptid/f853031c-83c4-11ea-bd9c-e83935209a2d ONLINE
gptid/f8756d6b-83c4-11ea-bd9c-e83935209a2d ONLINE
gptid/f864a768-83c4-11ea-bd9c-e83935209a2d ONLINE
root@freenas:~ #

After losing my last storage pool a month ago, I really don't want to mess around again. Can I simply type the following to recover the pool?
zpool import 14879227008723321572

I just don't want to have to rebuild the nas again.
Thank you

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi,

I had a power outage this morning. Freenas reported the following.

However, the Dashboard is saying and

From the shell, I ran zool import and received the following

After losing my last storage pool a month ago, I really don't want to mess around again. Can I simply type the following to recover the pool?

I just don't want to have to rebuild the nas again.
Thank you
No you don't use the cli to do anything. You import using the GUI. And in reality your pool should have auto imported so you have already setup something wrong.

Try the auto import in the GUI.

eeldna 2nd

Dabbler
The system has been rebooted probably 1/2 a dozen times without problem. It's unlikely that a regular reboot should take the pool down.
From the
Storage / Pools
I can see my pool and it's listed as
There aren't many options. Add
Storage / Pools / Import Pool
will ask if I have an existing pool. There is no existing pool according to the GUI.

When accessing the dashboard, it doesn't recognise the disks as belonging to the pool. Beyond that, I don't know how to proceed. Someone suggested bringing the pool online in read-only mode (not sure how), then copy the data off and reformat the disks.

Any suggestions are welcome.

eeldna 2nd

Dabbler
I took the plunge and imported the pool from the shell using
zpool import FOUR-T
The pool came back up and it says it's healthy. However, the obvious concern is
(a) what caused this to happen in the first place
(b) what happens when I reboot?
I think SweetAndLow was trying to advise me that I could run this command but it would not allow my pool to be active if I rebooted the NAS.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I move forward? I think there is something wrong with my FreeNAS install because (to the best of my knowledge) I should not have had to import the zpool.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Alecmascot

Guru
AFAIK you should , using the gui, export the pool (without wiping it!!) then import it again . It should now be registered in the config and will survive a reboot.

eeldna 2nd

Dabbler
AFAIK you should , using the gui, export the pool (without wiping it!!) then import it again . It should now be registered in the config and will survive a reboot.
Thanks Alecmascot.
There is something wrong and I think it's in freenas.
I exported my pool using the GUI.
I then checked if I had a folder in
/mnt/FOUR-T/
and I didn't (as I'd expect)
I think imported the pool using the GUI. Then I checked I had a share in
/mnt/FOUR-T
and i did (as I'd expect).
Then I rebooted and the pool disappeared again. When I checked
my pool had disappeared.
And now I am back to where I started.
Then, I tried (as an experiment) to see if I could import the pool via the GUI again
Storage / Pools / Import Pool
by pressing the Add button and it said there was no pool. However, I did notice that now i'd exported a pool that it took longer to work out if there was a pool. Previously, because I had not exported a pool, it was instantaneous in determining if there was a pool.
I do not know why, but what I do know is the following.

1. FreeNAS will disable this pool if I reboot
2. If I zpool mount my pool, it will come back and I can navigate my pool from the command prompt
3. My SMB service had stopped
4. My SMB client access said that my user account did not exist
5. My user account did exist
6. When I restored my SMB config (via the GUI), I still could not access the share

So, basically, my Freenas configuration (which worked prior to the power outage) appears to be behaving very strangely.
Should I:
(a) re-mount my pool, export it, then wipe Freenas and re-import?
(b) try to copy all of the files to a USB stick / USB drive and re-start my Freenas
(c) something else?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you

CraigD

Patron
What are your system specs?
What version of freeNAS?
I've never lost a pool, I've had a pool show lost, it was multiple bad SATA cables, the pool worked after they got replaced
Have Fun

eeldna 2nd

Dabbler
What are your system specs?
What version of freeNAS?
I've never lost a pool, I've had a pool show lost, it was multiple bad SATA cables, the pool worked after they got replaced
Have Fun
Thanks CraigD.
I'm running a HP N40L, 8GB RAM. 4x 10TB Western Digital HDDs. I'm running the latest FreeNAS 11.3-U2.1

Alecmascot

Guru
Should I:
(a) re-mount my pool, export it, then wipe Freenas and re-import?
(b) try to copy all of the files to a USB stick / USB drive and re-start my Freenas
(c) something else?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you
If your data is valuable and cannot be restored from elsewhere then I suggest you do what you can to back it up first.
Then save your config and re-install FreeNAS and load the saved config then try to import the pool.

eeldna 2nd

Dabbler
Thank you to everyone.
After some thinking, I enabled FTP so that I could backup my NAS over the network. As my user accounts appear to be corrupted, I had to "enable root login" and I'm using FileZilla under Windows to transfer the files (in binary mode) to my Windows box.
I have also backed up the Freenas configuration, as per Alecmascot's suggestion.
I will re-install a new copy of Freenas and see if I can import the configuration.
I'll consider this closed as I now have a way forward.
Thank you very much to those who helped me, even with things that seem obvious.

CraigD

Patron
I'm running a HP N40L, 8GB RAM. 4x 10TB Western Digital HDDs. I'm running the latest FreeNAS 11.3-U2.1
I suggest you at the very least use RAIDz2 with your good 10TB drives, think before using not recommended hardware, if you keep your setup be sure your OK losing any data on it

Have Fun

K_switch

Dabbler
@eeldna 2nd
I know you didn't mention this but i would like to ask anyways... Do you have mirrored boot drives? Also have you recently gone through and performed a FreeNAS update or perhaps upgraded your Pool?

Thanks!