HP N40L & M1015 = No Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've read a number of posts about people using the M1015 as an HBA for ZFS in thier N40L MicroServers but after installing one in mine, I'm unable to boot from USB - so I can't boot into FreeNAS and I couldn't install a different OS even if I wanted to! This issue has been been the same since I recieved the card yesterday but since then I have flashed the FW to LSI-9211.8i-IT Mode and tinkered with lots of motherboard bios settings but all I've done is got rid of the M1015 rom option appearing in post. All the machine does is boot cycle.

I've seen a few people say that the n40l's motherboard must be vendor locked or something, but there are people all over the internet (about 5yrs ago) who claim to have had no issues running the same hardware config as I'm trying to get going now.

I assume it's a bios setting or something that I need to change but I haven't been able to find it yet. If anyone on here is running this hardware, or successfully has in the past, please lend a hand.

Thanks very much.

So my eyes are just about bleeding from trawling through various online forums trying to solve this problem and I've come up with nothing. These are still quite handy little boxes, so I'll try to keep updated for anyone else facing the same issues in the future, but if anyone does have anything to add then please don't be shy. I currently have 2x N40L, 1x N36L (Gen7) and 1x Gen8 Microservers so I can test things as required without having too much hassle. My end objective here is to make a capable file server for use with my workstation. There are a number of things about FreeNAS that I don't fully understand and I'm limited by the hardware that I have, but I think a lot of those questions are better placed on other threads. For anyone wondering about this hardware with FreeNAS though, I hope this helps.

Online Resources:

There are a number of owner's clubs/forums online, I cannot really recommend one over the other. There is also an online wiki. Neither the wiki nor the forums seem to be very well thought out out and all seem pretty difficult to search - most have lierally hundreds of pages of people arguing about which $5 gpu is best for use with WHS and things like that. Mostly I think they are just for people who are excited that they have spent money on something and would like the world to know that they have a new toy. There is some good info in there but be prepared to spend a long time coming up with not much at all. Just to make things more fun, lots of members seem to be members of every club and mirror their posts on every website that will take them. The wiki has less of this problem but it doesn't seem to be much more than a jumbled collection of hyperlinks, often leading to online forums in which you're supposed to read through several pages of user comments to gleam several lines of information from. I found the compatible hardware/software/os information very helpful but that's about it...

BIOS Mods:

Several "step-by-step" guides on the web that also link you to online forums and pages of user comments. From what I can gather, these could all be distilled into a paragraph and 5 hyperlinks but perhaps people enjoy simplicity like they used to. Anyway, for anyone wondering there seem to be 3 BIOS currently available:

The Original (2011)
The Modded (2011)
The N54L Update (2013)

The Modded 2011 BIOS is the one that is fully unlocked, meaning that it has the most adjustable settings available. Installation is simple, download the BIOS you wish to install along with the appropriate USB formatting application from HP - the 2011 BIOS's both use the same but the 2013 BIOS requires the newer. Run the software to format a USB with the BIOS flashing software and then replace the BIOS file on the newly configured USB stick with the BIOS file that you wish to install and then boot the motherboard naked except for the usb, keyboard and monitor. The flashing process is automated and you will be given the cli "C:>" prompt once it has completed. Simply reboot and remove the usb once this appears.The entire process takes about 5mins. If you wish to roll back to the original HP Bios then simply run the software to config your USB again and do not replace the BIOS file that it puts onto your USB with a different one.

RAM:
Gen7's - I'm currently running 2x 4GB Unregistered ECC modules. Online reports claim all sorts of RAM configs but this seems to be the optimum. 2x 8gb seems to have varied results, even in the same motherboard. Sometimes it will see 8GB, sometimes it will see 16, sometimes it will see 16 and only let you use 8. If you love machines that are unpredictable then by all means, do as you will but I'm far less forgiving. Since I'm hoping to run ZFS in 2017 the weak links on these machines are the CPU and RAM capacity - you can easily fit more HDD space into these boxes than you will be able to properly control through ZFS.
Important - The Gen7 microservers are AMD based and as such, are not that highly recommended for ZFS as there is no way to verify that ECC is actually working as ECC. I'm happy to take that risk for my own home server but if you are using these in a commercial environment then spending a bit more on the outlay may give you peace of mind.

Gen8 - Max I have running is 16gb unregistered ECC, 2x 8GB.

Cooling:

Case
- the single main fan can be swapped with a little bit of rewiring but it won't make much difference to overall temps or noise.
CPU - The internal USB header is perfect for wiring tiny fans up, not really required on the gen7's but in the gen8 this gives you the option of upgrading to a much more powerful cpu.
I live in Australia, so ambient temps can get well over 40C in the shade. More fans, more fans, more fans....

HDD's:
Ah, the rabbit hole...
Gen7's - These can fit massive amounts of storage in a tiny box. My record so far is 9x 3.5" drives internally mounted but I've yet to install my pico power supply, so let's see... With 10tb drives out now you can almost certainly build a super array that will never succeed a rebuild!
Gen8 - These have much less room in them but an extra drive or two can be shoe-horned in.

Networking:

Once you run out of RAM to play with, networking is the next glass ceiling...
Gen7's - 1x onboard 1GbE NIC and 1x optional add-in card for the ILO. Depending on your hardware config you may be able to add networking capabilities via PCIe.
Gen8 - 2x onboard 1GbE NICs plus built in ILO. Sadly these boxes only have a single 16x PCIe slot but it allows for possible networking upgrades, depending on your config.

HBA's & RAID Cards:
This is the bit that I'm having trouble with myself...
Gen7's - So far I have successfully used the HighPoint RocketRAID 620 2x SATA HBA, although I found access to the SATA ports annoyingly tight. I'd recommend the longest SATA cables you have if you intend to try these.
I've also purchased an IBM ServeRAID M1015/LSI 9220-8i and flashed it to the LSI 9211-8i firmware, following many online recommendations. This has not worked out for me as I am unable to boot from USB with the card installed.
The HP P410 is kinda interesting, in that it has no hardware compatibility issues and is currently available on ebay for less than $20AU including international shipping but as far as I'm aware it's a poor choice for FreeNAS. If anyone can prove me wrong on that then I'll gladly buy one...
Gen8 - HighPoint RocketRAID 620 2x SATA HBA tested and working.
IBM ServeRAID M1015/LSI 9220-8i (flashed w/ LSI 9211-8i FW) tested and working.
Note - Both Gen7 & Gen8 onboard SAS controllers work well with FreeNAS, there is only a need to add in an HBA or RAID card if you intend to use more than the 4 hot-swappable bays on each. If you don't need the extra ports then I'd recommend a networking upgrade instead. It's also worth noting that with the Gen7's, even with the modded BIOS, the internal motherboard SATA connector is unreliable. I cannot recommend using this port as part of any array. I've not yet trialed the Gen8's, nor the eSATA port on the Gen7s.

L2ARC/ZIL
From what I understand of these, they are overkill in these small systems. Overkill as in wasted money and ports, not "better safe than sorry". A Zil is not the same as a vanilla SSD Cache and will not provide the same spine tingling thrills that a hybrid array, or an SSD Caching Raid card might. Quite simply, don't get one unless it's been advised as a solution to a problem you're having... L2ARC seems to be more useful (in general) but is NOT a substitute for ARC (RAM). I think the rule of thumb is 1:5, so with a max of 16GB in any of these machines you're really just looking at wasting an SSD and a Port...

Misc.
System vDev - Both Gen7 & Gen8 Microservers have an internal USB header. If you're not using these to power anything then it's a great place to install a flash drive. In the Gen8 there is also a microSD slot, Ive successfully installed to this and even managed to mirror it with a usb drive, but I'm not sure how much of a good idea this is. I'd greatly like to hear from anybody who does know. I realise that FreeNAS doesn't write endlessly but at this point I can only recommend using the back two USB ports to mirror your system vdev. This allows the front usb ports to be used by peripherals and limits the chance of anyone wandering off with your USB.
Hardware - Obviously you can let your imagination run wild but since for me these are best utilised as file storage servers or torrent boxes, I'm going to leave it there. By adding graphics cards and so on you'll pretty much double the power usage and I personally don't enjoy listening to hard drives while I watch TV...
Software Ect - For me, finding the knife edge of these machines is to balance between massive amounts of hard drive space Vs reasonable amounts of ECC RAM. You can run all sorts of VMs and Jails and so forth but all you're doing is taking using up RAM that is better utilised for storage. People crow on and on about performance speeds and all of that but unless you've got some networking upgrades that I should know about then it's all just hot air. Sure, I could strap a Ferrari engine to my bicycle, but why? WHY?? As for overclocking and so on, I can understand the desire to get bang for your buck but you can still easily spend over $1000 for a 4bay NAS that isn't half as capable as one of these machines, so messing with RAM timings and so on is just asking for troubles that you don't need - these machines cost less now than a good night out. I previously owned an N54L and sold it because the performance increase over the N36L was marginal, yet the resale value was almost twice as high, if the prestige of a few MHz is worth it to you then go for it. Be aware though that these are peasant boxes as far as FreeNAS goes, lots of people on these forums use much, much more capable machines...

Anyway I hope that helps anyone else who can't bring themselves to throw away old hardware. I'll keep adding info as I go but I'm happy for anyone else to chip in - just please try to keep it FreeNAS, ZFS or at least NAS oriented - there are a million and one forum threads you can go and stir up about how to set up plex to transcode 4k video to your smart fridge, or how to make an easily hackable web page on WHS. You will get nothing but hostility from me, Cheers.

PS:
My to do list for these is:
- Pico PSU Mod, allowing possible HDD additions.
- Networking upgrade, either higher speed interfaces or SMB Multichannel (Not quite sure where this is up to in FreeNAS)
- Find optimum maximums for FreeNAS.
- Possibly convert one or more Gen7 to drive enclosure to be used by Gen8.

gpsguy

There are a number of us who run FreeNAS on the Gen 7's or have run it in the past.

My 40 runs FreeNAS and has 8GB ECC RAM. The 54 has ESXi with 16GB ECC RAM. It recognizes the 16GB on every boot.

Back when I bought my 40, I was unaware that one could put 16GB in them. Given my use case, 8GB is still fine. A year later, when I bought the 54, I'd read comments like the one below. But, I'd also seen some users who stated they'd had good luck with Kingston xxx. I bought the same model number.

2x 8gb seems to have varied results,

i should have bought them back when the machines were new. I tried finding one, even used, a few years ago and was unsuccessful.

optional add-in card for the ILO.

How did you squeeze 9x3.5" drives in the case? Some users put 6 in them, by putting 2 in the ODD bay. As I recall, another use put 4x2.5" drives in the ODD bay.

Gen7's - These can fit massive amounts of storage in a tiny box. My record so far is 9x 3.5" drives internally mounted

Scareh

Contributor
9 drives seems like impossible, especially 3.5" ones.

I've seen pictures of 36/40/54's with 4 3.5" en 4 2.5", but never with 9 full fledged drives. Pics or it didn't happen ;)

other then that: 1 * 40, 1 normal 54 and 1 * 54 with a pico psu at home for me. Only downside is that you can't run the 54L without the main fan turned off/disconnected. Won't boot anymore. Since i use my 54 pico with only 1 ssd for my VM environment it's kinda overkill... but hey it works.

40 runs with 8gb ram, the other 2 with 16Gb

I have a set of Kingston KVR16E11/8i in my Gen8 but they are hit and miss in my Gen7. I don't think I ever tried them in my N54L though. Anyway, with second hand prices on proper servers running DDR3 these days I think I'll upgrade at some point this year. I'd quite like to explore some of the more taxing features of FreeNAS, Dedupe will certainly come in handy with progressive saves on my workstation.

The iLO on the Gen8 certainly makes life easy but for me the Gen7 without a PCIe GPU are low enough power to run24/7, so I've never even bothered to look for one!

9 drives was achieved with a dremal! Haha I'll upload some pics tomorrow if you like but basically I took the floor out of the 5.25" Bay, leaving approx. 10mm of lip on either side and leaving the upright at the front that holds the LED Indicator. Then I cut out two strips of the right hand side of the 5.25" Bay (including the lower part of the stainless latch) to allow for SATA & Power to two drives. Then I used 5mm rubber spacers and mounted one drive in the space below the 5.25" Bay, two drives at right angles to the 5.25" Bay and then another two inverted on the top, with their drive connections going to the left hand side. The power cables are all routed through the tunnel above the PSU and the SFF-8087 cables come through the gap between the PSU and the left wall. It would all be much easier to solder the power lines but I've kept the Molex connectors in for ease of use in case I need to swap out the PSU at any point... The top two drives have been electrically insulated from the lid with paper and the centre square of the lid had to be dremalled flat. It's all a pretty tight squeeze but I have more than a 20mm gap between the back and the closest drive and approx 5-8mm between each drive. Finally, there is a big enough gap between the front of the case and the closest dives to remove the 5.25" Bay cover and install 2 small fans to help airflow.

I could have removed two further skins of metal from the right hand side of the PSU, which would have allowed me the extra 2mm I needed to fit two drives beneath the 5.25" Bay, but it would have cost a fair bit of structural rigidity in the case as well as a great deal of airflow. It's nice to know that I fit in an extra drive there by switching to a pico PSU but that would give me an even number of drives in RAIDz3, so unless I can fit two more in then I might opt for an SSD pool and upgrade my network instead. This would be more expensive but realistically more useful to me than a few TB more of space - given that I'm already playing fast and loose with ARC requirements... Another option is to remove the motherboard and fit as many drives in as I can, then use it as drive cage.

Oh, I inverted the top drives rather than hacking up the top of the 5.25" Bay because as it is now the 5.25" bay is still usable as such, including the latch...

Scareh

Contributor
nice work, didn't knew the psu was powerfull enough to get that many drives in stable condition.

How are the temp readings on those top drives then? Did you install an extra fan to cool them or just the air flow of the 1 big fan?

I'm a big fan of my gen8, seeing the ipmi/ilo in action. Too bad the gen10 doesn't have any ilo anymore. Otherwise i might have been tempted to get one.
Now i'm just looking for another gen8 to replace my vm 54L with.

The stock PSU is 140W, so without a GPU there should be no issues...

I'm currently running two fans I pulled out of an ancient external DVD drive in the letterbox of the 5.25" bay, blowing into the case. I've wired them up to a USB plug for power and they run off the internal header. The airflow is actually quite a bit better than I was expecting but it's still winter... Summer is coming!!! haha

I havent looked at anything new but there is an IBM X3550 M2 with 2x 5470's and 64GB DDR3 ECC I've got my eye on for $250!! That's a whole lotta ARC for the cost of two hard drives! ...it would also solve my troubles with the M1015.

Ideally I'd like a mesh insert to cover the 5.25" bay fans but so far I've been more concerned with function over form... I'm more than happy to leave fashion design to Mac users.

Status
Not open for further replies.