MotherBoard: ASUS P9D-V ATX
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1220V3
Memory: 4 x Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333 unbuffered ECC
OS Drive: Kingston 8GB USB 2.0 DTSE9H/8GBZ
HardDrives: 6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM
Power Supply: Corsair RM550
Fans: 4 x Noctua NF-R8 redux-1200
M1015 (LSI9220-8i)

I have been running FREENAS for a few months and I would like to expand my storage. I purchased a M1015 off of e-Bay and after reading a few guides and following the http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ I made a DOS bootable usb and installed the M1015 into my system. When I boot up I immediately hear a high pitched whine coming from the M1015 and after I run 'megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin' I get the following error:

Warning! IO Base address high. Currently not supported.

No MR controller(s) found.
If controller(s) physically present but not found,
Please shutdown the system and set the jumper in default position and power up

Could this be a faulty card? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

yourmate

Contributor
First off when you say "installed the M1015 into my system" you did not mean your live FreeNas system, did you? It would have been a very bad idea ;)
Secondly, with all new hardware - especially if I have to thinker with it later on - I always try them out first as they're originally "meant to be" used.

Has the whine stopped when you removed the card? Have you tried on a different system?

Endstark

Cadet
I apologize for the confusion caused on my part. Before installing the M1015 and attempting to crossflash, I unplugged all other drives and removed the USB the contains my FreeNas config files. I would have liked to complete the Crossflash on my desktop but I don't have a PCI-E 2 slot, only PCI-E 3s.

The whine was not present when I rebooted with the card removed. I reinstalled the M1015 and immediately on startup the high pitch whine was emanating from it. I don't have another system to try it in at this time.

yourmate

Contributor
Any updates?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I would have liked to complete the Crossflash on my desktop but I don't have a PCI-E 2 slot, only PCI-E 3s.

????????????????????????????????????????????????

A PCIe slot is a PCIe slot.

Yeah, seriously. You could have done this in a PCIe x1 v1 slot. The later revisions only add more speed to the interface. If you use an x16 card and in a x1 slot and it will work but system bus transfers will be limited to one lane of traffic which is no big deal since you are just crossflashing, I would worry more about a power outage in mid-flash.

On a side note you can find video's on youtube of people either modifying a PCIe slot so a longer card can fit or where they are cutting the card so it fits in the slot. My server MoBo has a cutout in one slot already so a longer card can fit if needed.

But if there is a whine in the system when the card is in it could be a bad choke or cap which ultimately means a bad card. Try it in another system and see if it persists before you attempt to crossflash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.