HBA Suggestion for New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endstark

Cadet
I am new to both FreeNAS and this community, so I apologize in advance for any ignorance or shortcomings that I may display.

I am currently running 6 SATA drives but I am looking to expand to 10 in the near future. My current hardware setup is below and my question would be, "What HBA would you suggest to use?"

Hardware
Case: Norco RPC-450TH
MotherBoard: ASUS P9D-V ATX
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1220V3
Memory: 4 x Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333 unbuffered ECC
OS Drive: Kingston 8GB USB 2.0 DTSE9H/8GBZ
HardDrives: 6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM
Power Supply: Corsair RM550
Fans: 4 x Noctua NF-R8 redux-1200

I am looking for an HBA to provide 4 additional SATA connections, but I have no experience in Flashing cards. From what I have read on the subject, it seems like the consensus answer would be to go with and IBM ServeRAID M1015 crossflashed to IT mode but again, flashing isn't something that I am familiar with. I welcome any suggestions for other alternatives, but I am willing to try crossflashing if that is the recommended solution.

Also if you have any suggestions for my build above please let me know, I am very new to this and don't work in the industry so any suggestions or criticisms are helpful.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You'll likely have to flash the card regardless of what you get since most come loaded with the IR firmware and you need IT firmware for FreeNAS. Just pick one up and come back here and there will be plenty of members willing to help you out with it. Worst case scenario I'm sure you could mail it to someone and they could flash it for you, but it would do you good to learn in case you need to flash it again at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.