Need 2nd HBA Suggestion

linus12

Explorer
I am going to be adding additional drives to my server (see current build in signature). My current on board HBA(?) Controller is maxed out. New drives will be 4 x 8Tb WD Reds with 4 more in another 3 months or so.

So I assume I'm looking for an add-in card. Suggestions?

Edit: Corrected TLA

Last edited:

linus12

Explorer
Some additional information:
The HBA on the motherboard is described by
Eight (8) SAS 3.0 connections via LSI3008 with two mini-SAS HD (SAS 0-7)​
connected to 8 HDs using 2 x Mini SAS HD SFF-8643 to 4x SATA Breakout Cables​
If there is some way to connect to more drives using different breakout cables that would be great, if not... then:
The motherboard has two open slots:
PCH PCI-E 3.0 X2 (IN X4)​
CPU PCI-E 3.0 X8 Slot​

The drives to be connected are 4 x Western Digital Red Pro 8TB at this point and 4 more at a later date

So do I go for the
SAS 9300-8i Host Bus Adapter​
and slot it in the CPU PCI-E 3.0 slot?​
or should I look at something else?

It is not that money is no object, but I looking for something that will not cause me problems down the road - hardware wise.

linus12

Explorer
I have seen those. I'm just wondering about the price. The LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i is only $200, while the SAS Expander card runs in the $60 range. Other than the $$ difference, wouldn't the HBA give me faster access to the data? Or is there something inherently wrong with having two HBA's in the same system?

Mlovelace

Guru
I have seen those. I'm just wondering about the price. The LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i is only $200, while the SAS Expander card runs in the $60 range. Other than the $$ difference, wouldn't the HBA give me faster access to the data? Or is there something inherently wrong with having two HBA's in the same system?
There is nothing wrong with adding a second HBA. The expander I linked in my previous post is $25+free shipping and is perfectly fine for mechanical drives. It's your money and your system so obviously pick what you're most comfortable with.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
For conventional hard disks an HBA with 3 Gbps per connection is sufficient. You can get OEM ones (e.g. IBM M1015) pretty cheap on eBay, probably for less than $60.