Adding more drives, can my server handle additional drives

DosWrenchos

Cadet
Hello,

I am running out of space storage space and want to add a set of new drives to my server in addition to the drives I already have installed. Running FreeNAS 11.3U5

Right now I have 4x 6TB WD Reds in a RAIDZ1 array. Two of the drives are originals from 2017 when I built my server, two have been replaced due to failure over the years.

I have a supermicro mbd-x11ssm-f-o motherboard. Mobo has 8x SATA3 spots with an Intel C236 controller. All 4x of my current drives are plugged into the onboard SATA. Server is running with 16GB of ECC memory, processor is an Intel I3-6100.

I want to add 4x 8TB WD Red Plus drives and use the remaining 4x SATA3 ports that are open on my mobo.

Can my server handle the extra drives without any additional upgrades? I know I may be a bit short on memory and would consider adding more, but my main concern is if the Intel C236 onboard controller can handle the extra drives.

Let me know if there's anything I missed detail wise.

Etorix

Wizard
Of course it can. If the NAS is just serving files, 16 GB is probably fine, although having more would never hurt.

The only issue is pool geometry. With a 4-wide vdev, the natural extension would be a second 4-wide raidz1 vdev with the 8 GB drives. But raidz1 is no longer considered safe; if your data is important, you should consider moving to raidz2 or better.

Alecmascot

Guru

DosWrenchos

Cadet
Yes, server is just serving files up as a home NAS. I have the important stuff being backedup to B2 daily and external drives weekly.

Power supply is a Seasonic Focus Plus 550W

ThreeDee

Guru
alternatively .. if you need even more drives .. you can pick up something like an IBM ServeRAID M1015 for $25'ish off of ebay and flash it to IT mode and get a couple break out cables for $7'ish to get you another 8 drives connected