SOLVED New Build, Random Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageAUS

Patron
Hi all, I have built a new system recently and am running FreeNAS 9.10.1 all up to date. Now after all my testing of this system that went fine of course i installed FreeNAS onto a 16GB USB 2.0 Kingston data traveler, imported my pool, restored my backup and all was fine.....until last night while streaming a movie from plex my machine rebooted, now i am lucky to get up to 4 hours up time.
All components in this system are new, except drives but they are reporting all OK.
System specs are.
Gigabyte MX31-BS0, Bios Version F09, BMC 8.19, (Gigabyte has a FRU information zip but unsure as to how to use it or what it does.
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3.40GHz
2 x 8gb Kingston DDR4 ECC 2133 Ram Part Number 9965639-002.A02G
Corsair 80+ Gold CS450M.

Is there any way to find out what is causing these reboots?
Can provide any other info as needed.

TIA

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Kingston Data Traveler has been notoriously unreliable in a ZFS configuration. Many of us have stopped using Kingston flash products of any kind for any reason.

Therefore, your first troubleshooting step ought to be ruling out a corrupted boot filesystem. Can you install FreeNAS onto a (preferably brand new) thumb drive, and see if the problem persists?

SavageAUS

Patron
Thanks for the suggestion, I will purchase a new thumb drive in the morning and see how it goes. Can you recommend a better alternative? Corsair? SanDisk? Also does it need to be usb 2.0 or can I use 3.0 ?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks for the suggestion, I will purchase a new thumb drive in the morning and see how it goes. Can you recommend a better alternative? Corsair? SanDisk? Also does it need to be usb 2.0 or can I use 3.0 ?
I recommend the SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 flash drives. I use them as boot devices in both of my Supermicro-based servers.

SavageAUS

Patron
Thanks, I have ordered 2 of those but without jinxing myself I'm up to 12 hours up time so far with the Kingston.
I actually noticed I made a rookie mistake and did not have RAM in the correct slots so I moved 1 stick to the other slot so I'm using "a" channel instead of a1 and b1 I'm now using a1 and a2.

Stux

MVP
Depends on the mobo, but don't you want a1 & b1, so you get dual channel operation, assuming a channel and b channel and slot 1 and 2 of said channels.

SavageAUS

Patron
Well that's what I thought too hence why I thought I've made a mistake. I'm using a gigabyte MX31-BS0 socket 1151 board. Yes a1 and b1 would be dual channel but in that configuration I would get random reboots and with current configuration it has been up for over 12 hours now. I'm planning on checking my local shop for more ram today to fill all 4 slots and see what happens then.

SavageAUS

Patron
This is the only info I can find about memory config. Screenshot_2016-08-15-09-14-35.png

Stux

MVP
Well that's what I thought too hence why I thought I've made a mistake. I'm using a gigabyte MX31-BS0 socket 1151 board. Yes a1 and b1 would be dual channel but in that configuration I would get random reboots and with current configuration it has been up for over 12 hours now. I'm planning on checking my local shop for more ram today to fill all 4 slots and see what happens then.

Have you done a memtest run?

Stux

MVP
According to this : http://media.kingston.com/pcn/PCN_KVR21E15D8_8I_C1.pdf

Your modules might be Duel Ranked.

According to that chart you posted ECC modules need to be Single Ranked.

I guess that could explain the issue you have.

I would expect a memtest pass to turn up errors...

SavageAUS

Patron
In the current configuration mem.jpg memtest is fine.
memtest.jpg
I can swap them out again and run another memtest but i have done that before in the other config and the test ran through without errors.....i think.

Stux

MVP
Well, if you're happy then that's all that really matters

SavageAUS

Patron
Just wanted to add an update to my build, i have added an additional 16Gb ram, ran memtest and all is fine, no random reboots all running sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.