M1015 Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffprandall

Dabbler
I have been reading countless articles and I can't seem to get it to work. I purchased an "M1015" off of ebay that when I boot into the controller settings it says it's a BR10i. The card also has stickers that say SAS3082-ER as well. I assume I am stuck at step 1 which is clearing the configure with megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin but it says it can't find a card. I have download 2 or 3 different versions and still no luck. Currently I can access the card via the bootup gui and if I place it on a Windows box I use MegaRAID to see it.

And I believe all the sas2flash stuff is failing because thats looking for an LSI card..

And Freenas does see the drives currently but it's only showing the 4TB HDD's as 2TB's.

Stux

MVP

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have been reading countless articles and I can't seem to get it to work. I purchased an "M1015" off of ebay that when I boot into the controller settings it says it's a BR10i.
Definitely looks like you got the wrong card. I would suggest getting one like this. It is already flashed to the correct firmware and it is a newer card that is PCIe 3.0 instead of the older PCIe 2.0 of that IBM card.

Drive Controller: SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA LSI 9207-8i P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID - - US $69.55
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162862201664

Drive Cables: Mini SAS to 4-SATA SFF-8087 Multi-Lane Forward Breakout Internal Cable - - US $12.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371681252206

jeffprandall

Dabbler
Thanks for the help. I reached out to the seller on Ebay and he sent me the wrong card.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
They are going to swap out the card?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

jeffprandall

Dabbler
I actually ordered an M1015/SAS9220-8i but received the card mentioned above so they are sending the card I really did order. And I have been getting conflicting information, can the SAS9220-8i with updated firmware handle larger than 2TB drives?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have been getting conflicting information, can the SAS9220-8i with updated firmware handle larger than 2TB drives?
The IBM M1015 card uses the LSI SAS2008 controller chip and should be fully compatible with drives larger than 2 TB once it is flashed with the LSI firmware. There may be some upper limit of the drive size it will handle, but I think I have heard of users on the forum using them with drives as large as 8 TB successfully. At one time, a couple years ago, I used a Dell branded card with the same LSI SAS2008 controller chip and had 4 TB drives running on it without any trouble.
Just for your situational awareness, the IBM M1015 is an older card that is only PCIe 2.0 and I have been suggesting for around a year now that it should not be considered the "go to" card any more because it is older, but it will certainly work and they are inexpensive.

jeffprandall

Dabbler
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the card you recommended as well so I think I will just put the card they sent me back up for sale on ebay..

Status
Not open for further replies.