HP MicroServer N40L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have just bought the above computer and am now attempting to install FreeNAS. I thought I would be able to boot of a USB stick but I can't get it to work. I went into the bios but can't see how I set that as an option. Is there anyone that knows whether I can please and if so how?

Would it be better to fit a dvd/cd drive please?

Also, is it possible to retro fit disks please? I am currently using the onboard 250gb hd and will fit a 1tb disk when it arrives in the post. And then when I have spare cash fit another. Will the raid sort this out for me or should I buy all I need first?

Thanks for all the help.

Rich

gpsguy

The option to boot to USB is in the BIOS somewhere. I can't check now, but can check tonight after work.

Rather than installing a DVD/CD drive, you could do the install to flash drive on another machine. Then move the flash drive to your Microserver.

Did you upgrade the RAM? ZFS on FreeNAS needs a minimum of 8Gb RAM, with 2Gb you could format the disks with UFS. Beware, the latter option might be deprecated in future versions. While I'm using 8Gb ECC RAM in my N40L, I put 16Gb ECC RAM in my N54L.

In general, you won't be able to grow a ZFS RAIDz array one disk at a time. Please see cyberjock's slideshow for an explanation. I took my 250 and put it in a drawer. I have a mirrored set of 2Tb drives.

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of things. If you can find the option that would be great. I created a boot drive of a usb stick. Do I need a particular type:
http://www.ebuyer.com/399080-lexar-...aign_email&utm_campaign=Weekend_Deal_28-12-13
Or can I just use anyone please?

If I can boot of a usb stick, I'll move the 250gb drive to a slot and install the 1tb as well. Thanks for the tip about the ram, I'll go ahead and upgrade that.

Having said all of that am I better of with just building a standard Linux box and configuring that to run please?

I created the flash drive using dd on a Mac, would it be better to use a Linux box please?

Thanks for all the help.

Rich

gpsguy

Your Lexar flash drive should be fine. Any drive should work, but a name brand quality flash drive is likely to last longer.

As long as you follow the directions I'm the FreeNAS manual for creating/installing FreeNAS it doesn't matter which OS you did it from.

Whether you use FreeNAS or Linux is a your call. If you are questioning the decision - what prompted you to consider FreeNAS?

I'll check my BIOS settings tonight.

Sent from my phone

Hi

Once again I thank you for your reply.

The reason for choosing FreeNAS was because I wanted to run a combined file, music, movie and photo server. I was looking to run raid and someone suggested ZFS as better than the raid I was going to run. So at that point FreeNAS ticked all the boxes. My only reason for moving away is the cost of purchasing additional ram and possibly more hard drive space.

I look forward to hearing from you with regard to the BIOS.

Thanks

Rich

gpsguy

Since your hardware supports ECC RAM you should buy ECC. Tonight I can post the part numbers I used.

I'm on the other side of the pond, so tonight for me, is probably the wee hours of tomorrow morning for you.

Sent from my phone

gpsguy

Listed below are my BIOS settings. I have a Patriot flash drive. I also included the entry for the VGA memory size - I vaguely recall the default being higher.

Code:
Advanced/IDE Configuration/SaTA Controller Mode/AHCI
Advanced/USB Configuration/USB BIOS Support/Enabled
Advanced/USB Configuration/USB EHCI Hand-Off/Enabled
Advanced/USB Configuration/USB Mass Storage Device Cofiguration/Device #1 [Patriot Memory greyed out]
Advanced/USB Configuration/USB Mass Storage Device Cofiguration/Emulation Type/Auto
Boot/Boot Device Priority/1st Boot Device/USB Patriot Memory
Boot/Boot Device Priority/Hard Disk Drives/1st Drive/USB: Patriot Memory
Boot/USB Device Boot Priority/High

Advanced/PCI Express Configuration/VGA Memory Size/32Mb

I'm using the 8Gb memory kit listed below in my N40L. Had I known (at the time) that one could put 16Gb in the microserver, I would have done so. I'm using the 16Gb kit in my N54L.

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model CT2KIT51272BA1339

Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

Hi

Thank you so much for all the help and I am sorry for the delay in updating you on this. I did what you suggested and ordered the memory. I also ordered the usb stick and checked the settings as you detailed. In fact in the end all I needed to do was use a different usb stick and all worked well. Got it up and running easily. Thank you so much for your help. You are a star.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.