BUILD Dell Poweredge T110ii - new motherboard, new drive enclosure, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

I have a Dell Poweredge T110ii with a E3-1230 (LGA 1155), 32gb of ram with a IBM M1015 card. I would like to take the 8x 6TB WD Red drives and put it into that box (wont fit).

So I bought a 8 bay server case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055EV30W/). I started to take the dell apart & to take it out of the case I need a new fan and I am still not sure that the mobo will fit into a standard atx case.

So before I go that route I was thinking of replacing the mobo (I have a spare PSU) & ordering a new fan. This way when I build the box, I will be sure it will work. The only problem is that LGA 1155 boards are old, slim pickens - no warranty.

So I then started looking on Newegg for enclosures. The Dell box will fit 4 drives and I can get some sort of enclosure (not exactly sure) for close to $300.

Any suggestions on what to do? The dell case isnt exactly the best for airflow.

Option 1: new mobo (suggestions?)
Option 2: 4 bay enclosure
Option 3: Frankenstein - the dell case onto the 8 bay server case?

Thanks,
Rich

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I think that the best solution would be to acquire an appropriate Supermicro case and motherboard. This should give you excellent compatibility and minimum risk.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

So I ended up buying a Supermicro X9SCM-F mobo from Ebay & it is doing the trick in the new case.

Thanks,
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.