New FreeNAS setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterdjus

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the post again. There are just so many things to think about and tiny mistakes to make. I'm still figuring out what the best build will be for me. I think I will just have to buy some stuff and set up a new system. I earlier posted some stuff about the Dell PowerEdge 720xd. I wanted to put Freenas on this, but i needed to change to many things. I will just reuse some stuff from this machine and build a new nas around it. It's just to complicated to get the Dell machine Freenas ready. And I think i rather have a tower than a pizza box. So hope you can give your opinion on the next idea:

The items with a * in front of it come from the Dell PowerEdge and will be used. I'm not planning on buying new stuff when I already have this.

Tower:
Link
NZXT H440 New Edition
I don't mind how it looks, it just has to be able to fit 10 disks.

Board:
Link
Supermicro X10SRL-F
It has enough sata ports and if I checked it right it should be compatible with the Xeon from the poweredge. I don't need an extra storage controller with this board if i'm right? It has enbough ports onboard.

*Processor:
Link
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640
(15M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 7.20 GT/s Intel® QPI)
Comes from the Dell PowerEdge and is powerfull enough.

I have to add the heatsink: Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4
Link

*Memory:
8x Samsung 8GB 1Rx4 PC3L 12800R (partnr: 116V2)
This also comes from the Dell PowerEdge and can be reused nicely.

*Harddisks:
Link:
10x ST4000NM0033 9ZM 4TB in RAID-Z3 to be safe and it gives me 20TB wich is enough.
This also comes from the Dell PowerEdge (I will keep 2 as spares as the Dell has 12 disks)

16GB Cruzer Fit
Read it was recommended a lot of times... I will keep a spare one somewhere so no need to mirror it.

Powersupply:
Link
Corsair RM850i
I made a mistake with an earlier build but thanks to the power guide sticky that was started because of my previous post this should do :) This one has enough sata connections and is low noise.

I hope you guys can give me extra advice and why to do or don't. As mentioned above, I'm not planning to buy other stuff for what comes out of de Dell Server simply for the extra costs. So it all have to match with that hardware. I will try to sell the parts that get left over to reduce the costs on the rest of the hardware.

Last edited:

Misterdjus

Dabbler
Any thoughts or doubts? Or can I order the things I need and start building and experimenting this cristmas holiday :)

tvsjr

Guru
Seasonic seems to be the by-far recommended PSU.
Add a second boot device and put them in a mirror, so you have redundancy. When your boot drive takes a dump, a spare in the drawer won't be too helpful, especially if you aren't home. You could also go to SATADOMs for your boot devices, which seem to be a bit more "enterprisey" than a USB stick hanging out of a rear port.

Misterdjus

Dabbler
Thaks for your reply. Hmm i wasn't aware about the seasonic psu's. I will check out some different options there.

I thought about the satadom but it will cost me one (or 2 when i mirror) of the sata ports which will give me less space for the drives. That will cost me 8Tb raw space...

I will check how to mirror the os. You are right by saying a spare one in a drawer ain't no good when you are not at home...

Thanks again!

Misterdjus

Dabbler
Does there have to be something done on this mobo, or can i just attacht the drives to the sata ports and then go with it? I'm kinda holding back on flashing anything because my previous riad flash ended in a bricked card... :/ With this set up I should be able to get started out of the box right?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, Corsair's are pretty good. I'm using 3 of them in my systems here and have no complaints.

Misterdjus

Dabbler
I got to this one actually by a best buy advice from an it site. So i wil do some more research but probl stick to it...

Dice

Wizard
Any updates on how this project went?

Misterdjus

Dabbler
The project is a work in progress. I was a little busy because I am buying a new house which is taking a lot of my time now. Also I am waiting for a reseller to make an offer for my Dell Poweredge. When I receive this i will make a choise how i will make my new nas and buy the new hardware :) Will be continued!

pro lamer

Guru
For future reference: This mobo is for Xeon v3/v4 and the CPU is Sandy bridge. It won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.