IBM M1015 boot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc10kevin

Dabbler
OK. Thank you. I'll continue researching. Can't seem to figure out how to erase the board via megarec within the UEFI shell. It's not executable from the UEFI shell.

panz

Guru
OK. Thank you. I'll continue researching. Can't seem to figure out how to erase the board via megarec within the UEFI shell. It's not executable from the UEFI shell.

Did you follow the procedure I described? You erase it from DOS...

kc10kevin

Dabbler
I did. I can't get the board/BIOS to boot in DOS from the USB. Followed the procedures to the letter.

Brand new X9SCM-F with 2.0c BIOS.

Created DOS bootable USB.
Loaded up the files.
Try to boot from the USB in DOS mode and the screen blanks out, then goes back to the BIOS screen. Tried to boot using F11 and selecting the USB and nothing happens.
Have no problem booting in UEFI Shell and seeing the USB there (fs0: )

I've tried several sticks as well.

Stumped

panz

Guru
Did you change anything in the BIOS?

Did you attached at least one drive to the controller?

Is the cable a forward breakout cable? (this is a common mistake!)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, you don't understand..

There's special executables you must download for the UEFI shell. Then the command themselves are different. Google around as there are *plenty* of step-by-step guides for the UEFI flashing. This is not an M1015 forum, so we don't provide support for flashing your controller here.

kc10kevin

Dabbler
Thanks cyberjack. I did download the special executables and they are on the USB drive. I have spent two days trying every step-by-step guide to flash the M1015. I understand this is not a M1015 forum, but posted here because that was the subject of the thread. I'll make sure I keep my posts to Freenas from now on.

Anyway, I finally figured it out. SOOOO simple. I had my FREENAS USB plugged in as well. Just for giggles, I pulled out the FREENAS USB and had just the bootable USB plugged in and it works fine now. I can now boot to the DOS to erase and to the UEFI to flash.

Thanks again.

mw2014

Dabbler
For USB bootable media creation I used these instructions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

Without at least 1 drive attached, my M1015 refused to "show" itself and cannot be detected during USB boot process. I have to confess that I don't know the reason :)

Sorry to have induced you to a possibly error. The right command line I used is:

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin

[allow the system to print the ok result on screen as a consequence of successful command commit] then

megarec -cleanflash 0

After the above commands print OK you should reboot (I strongly recommend you to feed your server with an UPS during the flash operation: if power is interrupted you are in a big trouble...)

After reboot enter the UEFI Shell. To access your USB in UEFI shell try

Code:
fs0:

without the 1. ("1."is added by this forum software when you write commands within code tags; I had to write it between code tags because otherwise it automatically generated an emoticon)

then

sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin

You can use (= it's your choice) to not install the ROM (a.k.a. BIOS) on the M1015 because FreeNAS doesn't need it and - without the ROM - the boot process is faster. But if you need to use the M1015 in the future (not for FreeNAS use) you have to install the ROM (my opinion: don't install it and you'll be very happy with your M1015 and FreeNAS).

after successful entering those commands the final touch is:

sas2flash -o -sasadd 500605b0xxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxx is _your_ SAS address (you can read that on a stick glued on your card; I took a photo of that for future reference so I don't need to open the chassis each time I commit an update).

Please forgive me for bad writing: as you can read, English is not my mother language.

For myself and those of us that don't know what we're doing but can follow instructions, I would like to get clarification.

You show :
sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin
You can use (= it's your choice) to not install the ROM (a.k.a. BIOS) on the M1015
As someone that is not familiar with commands, I don't know what this means.

Please bear with me.

What I have learned so far.
The Flash instructions of choice seem to be
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IT mode

Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick >
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom OR sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin (if OptionROM is not needed) (I edited this line to help me understand it)
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot>
Done!

Is this really all that's needed? These instructions don't make any reference to a UEIF Shell and there is no "=" anywhere in the directions.

I'm a retired Data Center technician (20 years). I've learned that nothing is difficult if you have complete knowledge for what you are doing or a complete, correct and detailed set of instructions.
If the above is not correct or there is a better way, can you please create an instruction list.

Unrelated:
The last computer I built ran Windows 3.1. I am comfortable with editing the Windows registry (with accurate instructions), creating DOS/Command Batch files and I used to create old DOS Basic programs.
Is there a recommended web site or book that has instructions, commands or training so I can try to learn this?

My plan is to purchase everything in small parts to help with covering the cost. I have my case Fractal Design ARK Midi R2, psu EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 and 6 WD red 3T drives.
If I go with the IBM M1015 my plan is to purchase 1, reflash it in my Optiplex 755 (Windows XP) or Optiplex 3010 (Windows 7) before deciding on which Supermicro motherboard to buy (most likely
X10SLL-F). Then once everything is working purchase another IBM M1015, flash and swap it in the production FreeNAS box (this will be a known good spare).

My friends (Windows fans) think I'm nuts and should use Windows Server 2012 E.
I have an old computer AMD, 3g mem and 2 500g drives, running FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 UFS and like how it works. (This is strictly a trial PC, new build will be ZFS)

I hope I'm not too much of a bother, I'd really like to make FreeNAS work.

Thanks to everyone, many of us would be lost without your help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those steps aren't for UEFI. As I said above, we aren't the support forum for reflashing M1015s. You need to do some Googling and find the UEFI instructions if you need to do a UEFI reflash.

Status
Not open for further replies.