SOLVED IBM 1015 flashing hangs and no UEFI mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leprechaun7

Dabbler
I bought a IBM 46M0861 FRU ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller. I'm following the standard instructions from http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/. I boot into DOS mode and I run the first command and it just hangs with a blinking cursor. I know everyone seems to do the second half of the flashing process in UEFI but my old motherboard doesn't have this. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this and how to continue without UEFI mode?

Thanks for the help

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I bought a IBM 46M0861 FRU ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller. I'm following the standard instructions from http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/. I boot into DOS mode and I run the first command and it just hangs with a blinking cursor. I know everyone seems to do the second half of the flashing process in UEFI but my old motherboard doesn't have this. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this and how to continue without UEFI mode?

Thanks for the help
@Leprechaun7 , I posted the complete fileset I use for flashing IBM M1015 cards using DOS in this post, with basic instructions following in the same thread.

Good luck!

Leprechaun7

Dabbler
@dlavigne, not yet, I've just moved so I don't even have friends around to try flashing the card in another machine. I'll try spearfoot's help and report back. Thanks both of you for responding.

Leprechaun7

Dabbler
Still same problem. How long is "megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin" supposed to take? It just spits out:
"DOS/32A -- Protected Mode Run-time Version 7.35
Copyright (C) Supernar Systems, Ltd. 1996-2005"

and there's a blinking underscore. I've let it run for hours.

Is this a clue to my problem? "Protected mode"? Am I using the wrong bootable DOS? Bad USB?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Still same problem. How long is "megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin" supposed to take? It just spits out:
"DOS/32A -- Protected Mode Run-time Version 7.35
Copyright (C) Supernar Systems, Ltd. 1996-2005"

and there's a blinking underscore. I've let it run for hours.

Is this a clue to my problem? "Protected mode"? Am I using the wrong bootable DOS? Bad USB?
Hmmm... something is wrong. That megarec command should finish very quickly.

DOS/32A is a DOS extender; it supports running 32-bit protected mode DOS programs. The megarec utility is one such.

First things first... let's see if your HBA even shows up. Run this command:

Code:
sas2flsh --listall

This will list all of the LSI-based adapters in the system. If your board doesn't show up, that explains why the megarec command doesn't work. You need to run this first anyway, to get the 16-digit SAS ID of your board.

Also, how did you create your bootable USB stick? Using Rufus? Rufus has always worked for me, I can't vouch for any other scheme for creating bootable flash drives.

Leprechaun7

Dabbler
Well crap. I remade the USB using Rufus. I listall and no adapter found. I've tried both of my slots for the card. This explains the flash hanging, but now I've got a different problem. The strange thing is that during boot the LSI card is detected and throws boot options etc. Thoughts?
Thanks again for helping out.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Well crap. I remade the USB using Rufus. I listall and no adapter found. I've tried both of my slots for the card. This explains the flash hanging, but now I've got a different problem. The strange thing is that during boot the LSI card is detected and throws boot options etc. Thoughts?
Thanks again for helping out.
Check the system PCIe BIOS settings to see if anything looks odd, or try a different motherboard.

Leprechaun7

Dabbler
I tried the card in my work computer. I managed to get the first batch file to wipe to work but then the darn thing has EFI capability and I could get the second batch file to work or to get to a UEFI shell, probably because it was a Dell and I couldn't figure out how to get to the shell. I took the wiped card home and ran the second batch file, worked great. I should point out that both of my home boards are older Gigabyte boards which I've seen around this and other forums may have issues when flashing the card, but once I got it wiped it could be reflashed and working afterwards. Close this thread as SOLVED. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I tried the card in my work computer. I managed to get the first batch file to wipe to work but then the darn thing has EFI capability and I could get the second batch file to work or to get to a UEFI shell, probably because it was a Dell and I couldn't figure out how to get to the shell. I took the wiped card home and ran the second batch file, worked great. I should point out that both of my home boards are older Gigabyte boards which I've seen around this and other forums may have issues when flashing the card, but once I got it wiped it could be reflashed and working afterwards. Close this thread as SOLVED. Thanks for the help!
You're welcome! Glad you were able to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.