SOLVED IBM m1015 in normal mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redking

Dabbler
Hi, I just bought an IBM m1015 to build my first zfs server. I see that everyone seems to be using it in it-mode, and I am wondering what drawbacks it is by using the m1015 in the default mode? I think JBOD was the default mode

and also if anyone can help me figure out what files I need for this guide on how to flash to it mode to work I would be very grateful! : http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
it seems the link does not work anymore, and I am strugling to figure out what exactly I need on the usb for the commands in the guide to work.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi, I just bought an IBM m1015 to build my first zfs server. I see that everyone seems to be using it in it-mode, and I am wondering what drawbacks it is by using the m1015 in the default mode? I think JBOD was the default mode.
The IBM M1015 firmware can be flashed to either IR (Integrated RAID) or IT (Initiator Target) mode. The cards are shipped with IR firmware to support old-school RAID configurations. You should never use this mode with FreeNAS because FreeNAS needs direct control of disks. This means these cards must be flashed to IT mode when used with FreeNAS.
...and also if anyone can help me figure out what files I need for this guide on how to flash to it mode to work I would be very grateful! : http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
it seems the link does not work anymore, and I am strugling to figure out what exactly I need on the usb for the commands in the guide to work.
I posted the fileset I used to flash my M1015 here. Be sure to read the instructions for specifying the card's SAS ID, which I posted here in the same thread.

Good luck!

redking

Dabbler
The IBM M1015 firmware can be flashed to either IR (Integrated RAID) or IT (Initiator Target) mode. The cards are shipped with IR firmware to support old-school RAID configurations. You should never use this mode with FreeNAS because FreeNAS needs direct control of disks. This means these cards must be flashed to IT mode when used with FreeNAS.
I posted the fileset I used to flash my M1015 here. Be sure to read the instructions for specifying the card's SAS ID, which I posted here in the same thread.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help! I am having some issues tho. I did the first commands after booting in to DOS to wipe the old flash and rebooted in to the USB stick. I now get the folowing error when trying to continue with the "sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom" command: "ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting Program.

So this is becaus I am not in efi mode? if so, please help me figure this out, this is my first time reflashing anything.

I am using a "Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5" motherboard to do this. I tried to boot in to bios with del button and choose the DOS stick in the force boot option, by choosing the UEFI option on the USB stick. Here screen goes black for half a sec like it is about to do something, but then the screen just reapears and nothing happen. Am I tring to boot in to efi mode the wrong way? please help here. if this is a motherboard issue then I have a Asus x99-a that I can try with also. Hope I dont break my card :/

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks for the help! I am having some issues tho. I did the first commands after booting in to DOS to wipe the old flash and rebooted in to the USB stick. I now get the folowing error when trying to continue with the "sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom" command: "ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting Program.

So this is becaus I am not in efi mode? if so, please help me figure this out, this is my first time reflashing anything.

I am using a "Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5" motherboard to do this. I tried to boot in to bios with del button and choose the DOS stick in the force boot option, by choosing the UEFI option on the USB stick. Here screen goes black for half a sec like it is about to do something, but then the screen just reapears and nothing happen. Am I tring to boot in to efi mode the wrong way? please help here. if this is a motherboard issue then I have a Asus x99-a that I can try with also. Hope I dont break my card :/
Sounds like you need to boot the UEFI environment and run the command with the sas2flash.efi program, instead of the sas2flsh.exe DOS program. See this thread.

redking

Dabbler
Sounds like you need to boot the UEFI environment and run the command with the sas2flash.efi program, instead of the sas2flsh.exe DOS program. See this thread.

I have booted in to the efi mode on my asus x99-a card and accessed the correct usb with "fs5:". here I tried "sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom" and "sas2flsh.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom" witch both resultet with sas2flash not beeing recognized as a command.. do I need other files in the usb if I am using efi?

starting to feel like this reflashing was a bad idea.. there is obviously some vital pieces of information missing in my head to understand all this stuff :/

joeschmuck

Old Man
Why can't you boot in Legacy mode vice UEFI and then run the exe file?

redking

Dabbler
Why can't you boot in Legacy mode vice UEFI and then run the exe file?
as far as I can tell from all the guides that I can find, it just dossent work with UEFI motherboards for some reason.

I just found one of my old computers witch I am pretty sure does not have uefi. But I dont have a cpu cooler for it. Is there any chanse it will survive the 5-10mins this will take without having any cpu cooler attached?

Also, the from the guides im reading I see it is importent to only have 1 card installed. does this mean I cant have more then 1 of the m1015 cards installed, or not have any other pci cards installed at all?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is there any chanse it will survive the 5-10mins this will take without having any cpu cooler attached?
Older CPUs heat up quite a bit but technically they will throttle themselves when they overheat. It's a big risk. You could use an ice cube made of dry ice :cool:

redking

Dabbler
Older CPUs heat up quite a bit but technically they will throttle themselves when they overheat. It's a big risk. You could use an ice cube made of dry ice :cool:
im gonne put as many fans in as I can fit and make a go for it :)

Edit: Seems there was no internal grapichs on the old computer and only one PCIe slot witch leaves me without any screens :(

redking

Dabbler
EDIT: So, with a tiny bit of thc, the frustration went away and it all seemed to resolv itself pretty easely.. anyways, thanks for all the help! now its finally time to play around with FreeNAS :)

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have booted in to the efi mode on my asus x99-a card and accessed the correct usb with "fs5:". here I tried "sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom" and "sas2flsh.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom" witch both resultet with sas2flash not beeing recognized as a command.. do I need other files in the usb if I am using efi?

starting to feel like this reflashing was a bad idea.. there is obviously some vital pieces of information missing in my head to understand all this stuff :/
You're leaving off the 'a' in 'sas2flash.efi'. The DOS version is named without an 'a': sas2flsh.exe

EDIT: Nevermind... looks like you got it to work. :smile:

maglin

Patron
And a CPU can let the magic smoke out in seconds without a heat sink. Before IHS where used and we did direct die cooling I forgot to put a cooler on. Smoke released before getting into Windows 95. Yeah this was a while back. You only make that mistake once. RIP 223 MMX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stux

MVP
And a CPU can let the magic smoke out in seconds without a heat sink. Before IHS where used and we did direct die cooling I forgot to put a cooler on. Smoke released before getting into Windows 95. Yeah this was a while back. You only make that mistake once. RIP 223 MMX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true, or at least it used to be. Modern CPUs do have throttling to prevent destruction when this happens.

Not sure I'd run a CPU like that on purpose though.

joeschmuck

Old Man
This is true, or at least it used to be. Modern CPUs do have throttling to prevent destruction when this happens.
I know that I'd never test it out intentionally. It's one thing to have a fan failure on a CPU heatsink. It's another to not have the heatsink itself.

Stux

MVP
I know that I'd never test it out intentionally. It's one thing to have a fan failure on a CPU heatsink. It's another to not have the heatsink itself.

Exactly how I feel about it

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With the stock heatsink and significant airflow (controlled by the motherboard's stock PWM control), running Prime95 gets an i3 4330 (which has a lowish TDP, all things considered) close to 80 degrees Celsisus in about five seconds.

Worst case, I can see a CPU not responding quickly enough to an overheat condition if run without a heatsink.

Definitely not something I'm going to try on my stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.