How to link ssh login to the user's share if I created users with "Home directory: /nonexistent"

GabrieleMax

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I have a TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3 where I did five SMB shares, one without password and other four with different username and password so now I'd like to enable ssh connection for the three users and I followed this guide https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/services/configuringssh/ so when I log in with one of the "normal user" I have:

Welcome to TrueNAS
Could not chdir to home directory /nonexistent: No such file or directory
NAS01% ls
bin COPYRIGHT etc mnt root usr
boot data lib net sbin var
compat dev libexec proc storcli.log
conf entropy media rescue tmp
NAS01%

I should link the ssh user login to a specific shared folder, I created users with the value "Home directory: /nonexistent", I have Pool01, inside of it I have Dataset01, and here I have four shares named user01, user02, like this /mnt/Pool01/Dataset01/User01 obviously these four users have different passwords to gain access to their specific folders by the SMB share which works well.

For security reasons I don't need or I think it's not a good idea to create users with "home users" feature but now I should try to redirect the login for every users to their specific folder, how can I do it?

Regards
GabrieleMax

Davvo

MVP

GabrieleMax

Dabbler
What are you trying to achieve? Why would your SMB share users need SSH?
I need to copy, from a linux machine with Debian Bookworm, some folders to a smb share on the nas and I'd like to do it just for one time.

I thought a quick solution, I could mount from root on the nas the remote Debian folder and after it I could use a simple cp.

In the future I could enable a share on the nas just for unix like machine and I will study if I'll need to enable the home directory or if there's another way to enable scp the feature which I use from unix like clients to the nas.

Regards.
GabrieleMax

Davvo

MVP