How do you assign a FreeNAS home directory to an AD user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Greer

Cadet
I am trying to give access to a file to an external organisation. They need to use either FTP or SSH (SFTP) to pull the file. We use Active Directory with Freenas currently and I've been able to successfully create the users in AD and have them log in either by SSH or FTP. The problem I am having is that I need them to be locked into their home directory, and I also need their home directory to be in a specific location.

Most of the guides show edits via the GUI, but I cannot make any changes to users using the GUI, despite the link to Active Directory working fine. If I try to update the home directory for a user using the shell using "pw user mod XXX" it tells me "cannot modify non local user XXX".

I am unsure if this is expected behaviour, but I am unable to figure out a way of changing the home dir. I have tried changing the home folder setting in users and groups on AD, but it does not seem to make any difference to the users' home dirs on FN.

Please help!

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm not sure if it'll take it from AD, but if it does, you need an AD entry for UNIX Attributes -> Home Directory for the FTP/SSH login.

If it doesn't take that from AD, you will need to create a local user on the FreeNAS for them.

You may need to create some permissions strategy to trap them in there, which can be a little tedious. It can be a little easier to restrict things via SSH/SFTP because there's some additional limits you can create via the authorized_keys file.

Status
Not open for further replies.