Change users home directory?

IroesStrongarm

Dabbler
Since I originally setup my TrueNAS over a year ago I've learned more and better practices in general. I'd like to go back and cleanup my setup in a way that works better for me. Before just diving in and making changes I'd like to be sure I won't just break things.

I currently have a dataset named "users." This was setup with the posix instead of SMB ACL I'd rather use. Inside "users" I have a "test_user" folder (not dataset) for the user named "test_user." test_user has a home directory set to /mnt/tank/users/test_user.

I would like to delete the "users" dataset and completely rebuild it from scratch using SMB ACL, and also then making a child dataset "test_user." Is the correct procedure to do so the following:

1. Change the home directory of "test_user" to /nonexistent.
  2. Delete "users" dataset. Recreate "users" dataset and new child dataset "test_user." Move all data from a backup back into the test_user folder.
  3. Change the home directory of "test_user" to /mnt/tank/users/test_user?
Would this cause any problems? Could I skip steps 1 and 3? (Note I left out steps of deleting snapshots, shares, and sync tasks on that dataset but know I have to before deletion.)

Any advice that can be shared would be appreciated. Thank you.

IroesStrongarm

Dabbler
I should add this question as well. I originally added a home directory as (if memory recalls) I had to do that when I used OMV to give my user their own folder locked away from all users. From all the research I was doing yesterday, seems home directories in TN are really more for AD environments. So could I just change my user's home directory to /nonexistent and leave it like that without any problems? My plan is to use datasets and ACLs to hand out a directory for the user anyway.