TrueNAS SCALE - How to provide access to multiple user groups

I am new to TrueNAS, went with directly TrueNAS Scale version (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1).
Have created a dataset named media and added SMB service as well for it.

My folder structure under media goes like movies,music etc.

What i wanted to setup here is as follow,
1) Assign access to the dateset media for more than 1 groups that created.
group truenasusers to have access to the SMB
group root to continue be the ownergroup

2) The Plex app i installed to also have access to this dataset via a readonly access mode that i wanted to provide via another group that i would like to create for plex app.

I tried edit permission in the dataset and inturn tried all 3 options,
a) Unix Permissions Editor - here i could only add 1 user & group as owners cant add other groups or owners
b) Edit POSIX.1e ACL (using SET ACL > Custom ACL) and tried adding the group after mask entry. Although here i seem to add the item choosing my group still when i try with SMB windows network location using one of the user in this group unable to access the storage.
c) Use Preset ACL HOME default ACL does not satify my need as it provide access to all as home users.

Require support in figuring out this access permission issue am facing which i cant get answer after reading wiki and lots of online search.

Attachments

• Edit POSIX.1e ACL Win NW error.JPG
    Edit POSIX.1e ACL Win NW error.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 584
  • Edit POSIX.1e ACL.JPG
    Edit POSIX.1e ACL.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 561
  • Unix Permissions Editor.JPG
    Unix Permissions Editor.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 739

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
I'm new but I think that once you set ACL you can then select any group or user (remember to click the apply button) and add access to that dataset. the pictures you show are all without ACL enabled.

Set it to open then add user or group as desired with permissions you wish.

I'm new but I think that once you set ACL you can then select any group or user (remember to click the apply button) and add access to that dataset. the pictures you show are all without ACL enabled.

Set it to open then add user or group as desired with permissions you wish.
What do you refer here as "without ACL enabled." after set ACL i click on Save Access Control List. When i come back again the same is available.
So not sure you reference. In the SMB share (also in dataset) of course ACL is enabled if that what you are referring to(attached pic)

Attachments

• Set ACL - ACL Type.JPG
    Set ACL - ACL Type.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 649
  • Set ACL - SMB Share ACL Enable.JPG
    Set ACL - SMB Share ACL Enable.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 514
  • Set ACL - step1.JPG
    Set ACL - step1.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 440
  • Set ACL - step2.jpg
    Set ACL - step2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 578

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
1) Storage
2) View permissions (on correct dataset)
3) edit permissions
4) Set ACL
5) Select preset open (or restricted if appropriate)
6) Permissions editor
7) Add item (leave as mask)
8) Add item - where it says "who" change to either user or group
9) Change user or group as you desire, make sure to check "apply user/group" button. Change permissions modes as you desire.
10) save access control list

1) Storage
2) View permissions (on correct dataset)
3) edit permissions
4) Set ACL
5) Select preset open (or restricted if appropriate)
6) Permissions editor
7) Add item (leave as mask)
8) Add item - where it says "who" change to either user or group
9) Change user or group as you desire, make sure to check "apply user/group" button. Change permissions modes as you desire.
10) save access control list
I think the steps you mentioned works for a previous version of TrueNAS. But the latest version am using(TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1) don't provide these way of permission. After 6th step its either you use permission editor or the ACL.
Please refer to screenshot, if i go to permission editor then i loose the ACL details.

Attachments

• Debugging Step6.JPG
    Debugging Step6.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 513
  • Debugging Step7.JPG
    Debugging Step7.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 628
I think the steps you mentioned works for a previous version of TrueNAS. But the latest version am using(TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1) don't provide these way of permission. After 6th step its either you use permission editor or the ACL.
Please refer to screenshot, if i go to permission editor then i loose the ACL details.
This is how it looks once i add my user & group. But still in network access of the dataset is restricted for the user.

Attachments

• NEW SET ACL1.JPG
    NEW SET ACL1.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 559

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Nope I'm on same version. Unless I'm confused as to what you're trying to do you're at the right spot you just need to add user.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.33.59 AM.png

Nope I'm on same version. Unless I'm confused as to what you're trying to do you're at the right spot you just need to add user.

View attachment 55195
i have done this exactly, but still in windows while trying to access the storage via SMB the access don't work. Still getting Cannot access do not have Permission.

Attachments

• Cannot access do not have Permission.JPG
    Cannot access do not have Permission.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 456

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
I found I had to enable under advanced in the SMB set up “allow guest access” in order for me to be able to login using the user name and PW that the dataset had permissions set for.

I have no idea why this is, but at least for me it was necessary to have access from a Ubuntu system. I don’t use windows but perhaps try changing that setting. So long as you have permission on the dataset set correctly I don’t think this opens up any actual access to a user not approved, but as I stated I’m a beginner so proceed at your own risk :)