How do you update jails?

nuneya

Dabbler
I'm new to both FreeBSD and FreeNAS, but so far I quite like the jails and have already accumulated about 6-7 jails, with plans to double or triple that number in the next month as I'm transitioning various things to FreeNAS.

But with that I'm starting to get worried about stale packages in jails. Some jails/plugins will update themselves, but most won't. So what do people do? Do you set up some sort of notification system and them manually update, or do you automatically update packages, or do you just let them be until you just must upgrade, or some other option?

In case that makes a difference - I'm a long time Linux user and am very comfortable with never seeing a gui.

danb35

Hall of Famer

nuneya

Dabbler
Do you unconditionally run that on a timer? I guess you're protected by snapshots in case something goes wrong because of it?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you unconditionally run that on a timer?
I think I have a cron job running once a week. My script is a little more complicated, as it also restarts a few services. Someone else has posted a much more sophisticated script, which parses the pkg output to see what needs to be restarted.

ByteNick

Explorer
I think I have a cron job running once a week. My script is a little more complicated, as it also restarts a few services. Someone else has posted a much more sophisticated script, which parses the pkg output to see what needs to be restarted.
And how do that sophisticated script looks like? ;-)

ByteNick

Explorer
It was posted in this forum, but I don't have a link. I'd expect you could find it with a search, though.
I did, was unable though.
Meanwhile, I tried to run your (simple) script above from the FreeNAS CLI. It says "Command not found"

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you're replying to a six-month-old thread, and a lot has changed in six months. Most importantly, the release of FreeNAS 11.2, which makes iocage the standard jail manager rather than warden. But in any event, I'm pretty sure the error message said more than just "Command not found". What exactly did, and what exactly was the result?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Redcoat

MVP
It's the only one as comprehensive that I recall. I had incorrectly remembered it as "a Spearfoot" until I saw it again.

Redcoat

MVP
Note @danb35's earlier comment about the change in standard jail managers. Cyberjock wrote for warden, Ezra for iocage (and under 11.2).