SOLVED How to Update IOCAGE Jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranzel

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some clarification on IOCAGE jails. I have converted all of my Warden jails to IOCAGE and everything is working fine.

I have the following jails created and running,

· SabNZBD
· Sonarr
· Radarr
· Plex (Plexpass Version)

I am trying to find information on how you update each of these items.

If I understand this topic correctly, there is updates to the underlying IOCAGE software that can be performed and I assume is updated with each version of either FreeNAS or FreeBSD (When applicable).

Next, is updating the actual software inside the jails. IE Plex. This is where I am a little confused. Previously I used jails and would just update when the “Update” button appeared. Now I suspect I need to go into each jail and run a command to perform an update. Is this accurate? If so, is there a document or something that shows what that command may be? I have tried looking at various support wiki’s for each app, but all I find is instructions on installation. The only update info is related to Windows.

Thanks.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

kranzel

Explorer
pkg upgrade
Seriously?

pkg upgrade

That's it? I have been looking for two days to try and find this answer and it's pkg upgrade? LOL, well, I feel more than little silly at this moment. :)

ere109

Contributor
That command (run from within the jail) only seems to update the Free-BSD version within the jai - not the Plexmediaserver itself? And does iocage make a difference? I've seen reference to
Code:
iocage update plex

and
Code:
iocage upgrade plex

But I get hung up with the -r (release) info...

kranzel

Explorer
I tried @Jailer suggestion.

I received the following output.

root@sabnzbd:~ # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[sabnzbd] Fetching meta.txz: 100% 944 B 0.9kB/s 00:01
[sabnzbd] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100% 6 MiB 2.1MB/s 00:03
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 28778 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

The output would indicate that no updates available, however SabNzbD shows that one is.

I am currently running (2.3.0 [ba7d906]) but on the main SabNzbD screen, it shows version (2.32) is available.

From the above output, I am guessing on of three things is happening here.

1. SabNzbD 2.32 is not available for FreeBSD 11 yet.
2. The repository I am pointed to, which is the default, does not have the current 2.32 version yet.
3. The command I ran "pkg upgrade" is not the correct command.

I suspect it is option 1 or 2. Can anyone confirm?

ere109

Contributor
I tried @Jailer suggestion.

From the above output, I am guessing on of three things is happening here.

1. SabNzbD 2.32 is not available for FreeBSD 11 yet.
2. The repository I am pointed to, which is the default, does not have the current 2.32 version yet.
3. The command I ran "pkg upgrade" is not the correct command.

I suspect it is option 1 or 2. Can anyone confirm?
I suspect it's the last one - that this updates the FreeBSD installation within the jail without touching the program(s) running within the jail - but I'm only basing this upon the fact that my Plex keeps telling me there's an update, and running pkg update didn't change my plexmediaserver version or stop the message from populating onscreen.
BUT, I would love to be proven wrong (or better yet have it explained by someone in the know). I suppose there's also the wget feature, and you could manually find the new file on github and wget the address to replace the file - but I'm not a doctor. I only play a doctor in a loose comedy skit in which something bad always happens, and FreeNAS dies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I suspect it's the last one - that this updates the FreeBSD installation within the jail without touching the program(s) running within the jail
No it doesn't, it updates the packages and not the base OS. freebsd-update updates the underlying OS.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
The output would indicate that no updates available, however SabNzbD shows that one is.
Freshports shows the latest version to be 2.3.2.
https://www.freshports.org/search.p...leted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive

@kranzel what is the output of uname -a from the jail in question?

kranzel

Explorer
@Jailer
@kranzel what is the output of uname -a from the jail in question?
root@sabnzbd:~ # uname -a
Code:
FreeBSD sabnzbd 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+de6be8c8d30(freenas/11.1-stable): Tue Feb 20 02:38:09 UTC 2018	 root@gauntlet:/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

@Jurgen Segaert
Also, please check/provide the output of pkg -vv | grep url in your jail.
root@sabnzbd:~ # pkg -vv | grep url
Code:
url			 : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly",

Given the above, it would seem I am on the quarterly cycle as @Jurgen Segaert pointed out.

So I A, believe @Jailer command is correct and runs as expected and the B, the reason i have not received 2.3.2 for SabNZbD is because of my quarterly repository.

Am I correct?

If yes, then I need to figure out how to adjust my repository. But I am sure there are posts on that or instructions in the guides. I will find those.

Assuming I am correct above, thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.