How do you migrate Nextcloud from Core to Scale?

cjmdk

Dabbler
I do not hold the details of how jails and Nextcloud OCC works good enough. And here my challenge – how to execute OCC when wrapped in Core/Scale?

I am used to follow documentation tight – issue is I still have not found the article shedding light on a setup like mine.

My setup: Latest stable TrueNAS core + latest Nextcloud version. Nextcloud is the official IX System version from the jail repository.

In Nextcloud I have installed the Backup & Restore app. Making a backup is no issue.
I know of this guide: https://github.com/nextcloud/backup#restore-workstation

adrianwi

Guru
I'm not sure I really understand the question, but this guide - https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-owncloud-using-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/ - from 2014 is one I still use the basic principles from when I'm creating jails for anything today. Storing user data outside of the jail and mounting this makes upgrading or moving things much easier, and I guess that would apply here. Just don't use it line for line or you'll end up with a really old version of Owncloud :grin:

I've been running a Nextcloud jail based on this guide from around the time it was forked from Owncloud, and it's been moved to new hardware, upgraded between FreeNAS and then TrueNAS versions, and updated countless times.

There are some script-based ways of doing this now and even 'official' plugins, but what they won't do is give you some of the knowledge and experience to help understand how this all works so you can manage it and potentially fix it when things don't work quite as expected. I have a lot to thank for this guide!

cjmdk

Dabbler
Thank you for sharing your thoughts :smile: The article is quite good - if you plan that setup from the pure beginning of your Nextcloud journey. As I read the article. Keeping things separate I am a huge fan of. Challenge is I did not start it that way. If I should start from the beginning, sure I would prefer something similar.

In my case, Nextcloud runs already. The DB is embedded/stored in a somewhat default location. The question is how do I extract what I have running already and migrate that to Nextcloud on a TrueNAS Scale environment?
The Nextcloud app Backup & Restore is installed and it manages to make backups just fine. How to restore that backup is the difficult part, and even more difficult on a Nextcloud TrueNAS Scale environment.

cjmdk

Dabbler
update... I have come a little closer to the expected result. My notes are stated here for reference, and it might as well help others...

This article explains the OCC

1) ssh into Truenas
2) switch to the Nextcloud jail
3) fire the 'jls' command followed by 'jexec # tcsh'
4) once on the jail you can use the OCC commands without further do. E.g. 'occ backup:point:list'

:smile: