HORRIBLE installation experience

Hey there,

Let me first get this out, i am about to set my system on fire and throw the burning piece of scrap metal through an unopened window.

Why you might ask,

Well i have tried everything i could find to get this installed.

I am trying to install truenas scale on an old pc, i have used several different usb drives to boot the install from, i have tried several ways of booting from said flash drives (ventoy, direct iso to drive with rufus etc)

The system boots up, but the first error that gets thrown immediately is:

Error: terminal ‘serial’ isnt found

the system keeps going and then i can select to start the truenass installation, i have tried both options but both result in either a massive error loop looking like this:

usb #-#: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb #-#: device not accepting address #, error -33
usb #-#: device not accepting address #, error -33

Or it starts throwing those errors and then go through to the next screen in which i should be able to select to install but my keyboard simply doesn’t work…..

I have also went out and bought another simple no frills wired usb keyboard with the same result

Is the installation of this piece of software really so obnoxiously fragile or is it something i am doing wrong ?

So after another few hours of hitting my head i just went against all advise i have seen previously and plugged both the keyboard and the usb key in the usb 3 ports of the system and hey presto no more errors and was able to install without a further hitch

Redcoat

MVP
So after another few hours of hitting my head i just went against all advise i have seen previously and plugged both the keyboard and the usb key in the usb 3 ports of the system and hey presto no more errors and was able to install without a further hitch
Welcome to the forums! Glad your experience with TrueNAS has greatly improved! What advice did you not follow?

Welcome to the forums! Glad your experience with TrueNAS has greatly improved! What advice did you not follow?
When i was getting errors i had either a mouse, keyboard or the flash drive in a usb port (or multiple of those)

And when i went searching for solutions the advice i kept on finding was to not use usb3 ports for whatever reason, so i strayed away from that since people where having comparable issues while using them.

In the end the only thing i apparently hadn’t tried was have none of the usb 2 ports occupied and only use usb 3 ports (i did it the other way around)

When only connecting peripherals to the usb3 ports it went of without a hitch

Redcoat

MVP
So the "Horrible" advice was not found here, I gather?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Way back in the day, like a decade ago, that might have been useful advice. It's not particularly useful in 99% of systems that predate Skylake and 100% useless for Skylake and newer, because all USB ports are tied to an XHCI controller.