BUILD Home NAS/media streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to check that my build will be sufficient and work together before i buy the parts. Looking at building a home NAS server to store mainly media/stream with plex (max 3 devices at once). Also will be used for back-ups for 3 PC's.

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O
CPU: Intel Celeron G1840
RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
PSU: CORSAIR RM Series RM550 550W
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 support
HDD: WD reds x6

From what I've been reading I think it will work, just wanted a 2nd opinion before I order the gear.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is the RAM on the compatible list for the motherboard?

The CPU might be fine, it will depend on what you plan to use. I'd expect Plex to be fine for at least one media stream, maybe two depending on your quality settings. If it's only DLNA service (no transcoding) then yes, the CPU is more than fine. I think the general thought here is to buy something with a bit more horsepower like this one here.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
I have a i3-4130 and it tops out using plex with several users transcoding. Might want to beef up your specs in that area. I would personally go with 4xWD Reds and buy a Xeon. Its worth it for my application and wish I would have done it to begin with.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is the RAM on the compatible list for the motherboard?
It is, I can easily recognize the model number, but I can never reproduce it from memory.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Pentium is not that much more than Celeron in terms of price difference (At least it is that way in the US).

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
One thing I would recommend is to switch from the Corsair PSU to an EVGA unit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139053&cm_re=rm550-_-17-139-053-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=evga_supernova_550-_-17-438-053-_-Product

EVGA unit is roughly $30 cheaper and scored a perfect 10/10 on johnnyguru.com it is manufactured by Super Flower and is the Leadex design which has been shown to perform just as well as Seasonic offerings. With the money saved from getting that PSU you could invest that $30 in another area like a Pentium class CPU even. Just my thoughts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 This is a comparable model that would also perform extremely well and save a bit over the Corsair unit

Just had a win and picked up a Pentium g3260 for 20 bucks. So for the price if it doesn't do what I want it to I can upgrade later.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just had a win and picked up a Pentium g3260 for 20 bucks. So for the price if it doesn't do what I want it to I can upgrade later.
Not bad at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.