SOLVED Help with unscheduled system reboot

oxyde

Contributor
Hi all, i need some help to troubleshooting a strange behavior is occurring in my machine.
TrueNAS-13.0-U6 (Core)
Mainboard Asus P8 H61-M LX R2.0
CPU I5 3550S
2x8GB RAM 1600mhz NO-ECC
1 Pool with 2x1 TB SMR disk (Mirror) (i will replace them soon with cmr disks)

I know the hardware is not the best for NAS purpose... but i liked the idea of being able to experiment with the use of a NAS, while keeping the expense low (in case of second thoughts). Pratically i just need to store file non mission critical from 2-3 pc and 2 smarthphone (with SMB). Nothing else.

The problem is this: the system crash and reboot while doing heavy transfer (for example, it occurs when i try to do a system backup of my notebook directly to a NAS folder)
4dd67afa8cb9994f5975826851dea2da.png

i just try to:
- update mainboard bios to latest version
- memtest86 stress on ram, passed without error (ram are new)
- keep disk and cpu temperatures under control, all good
- tryed to see logs on dmesg -a or cat /var/log/messages without see anything about the reboot

it was suggested to me that the problem may be on the realtek integrated nic... but i wanna be sure of that before buy another one...
any suggestion to verify that, or something else to try?

Thanks a lot!!

Davvo

MVP
To anyone that might be interested in the original (italian) thread, here is the link.

Most notably there have been heat issues with the system, which the OP claims to have solved.

oxyde

Contributor
As suggested from Davvo in the original thread, upgrading to a new dedicated Intel Nic solve the issue.
No more reboot, and im having a Better "transfer" experience overall.