Unscheduled system reboot

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
So NAS has been going fine for years (built in 2015) but randomly lastnight it started rebooting, no explanation, no nothing I just got a bunch of emails from it saying this crap:
freenas.local had an unscheduled system reboot.
The operating system successfully came back online at Tue Apr 9 14:19:41 2019.

Now it wont even finish booting before it restarts, always restarts at a different part of the boot sequence (let's not even talk about how many years it actually takes to boot).

So I'm pretty much stuck, any reason why it would be pulling this crap now? My NAS specs are in my sig.

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What else do the system and IPMI logs say?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wait a second, you never had the motherboard replaced? If so, your CPU is probably dead.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Wait a second, you never had the motherboard replaced? If so, your CPU is probably dead.

@aussiejuggalo pay attention to this piece. @Ericloewe is specifically referring to the major hardware fault in the Intel Atom C2000 series processors detailed here:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...s-system-fault-may-lead-to-dead-system.50314/

If you haven't ever had your board replaced for this fault I would contact SuperMicro directly and ask if they will offer a replacement (even outside of warranty)

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Unfortunately I can't see the logs because it wont stay on long enough for me to check and currently I cant physically get to the boot drives which are in hotswap bays in the back of my rack. I was thinking it could be the board or CPU, did remember seeing the C2000 had issues.

I'm rebuilding another system with the new ASRock Rack X470D4U AM4 board (if it's stable the NAS will get this board as well) so I'll swap out it's current MSI workstation board to the NAS and see if it'll boot, that wont be until next weekish. I'll try rebooting it without the pool drives later and see if it stays up long enough to access the logs.

Edit, So tried turning it on again but removed the pool drives first, getting a system initializing 42 error on the BIOS, guess the boards got an issue oh well. I'll replace it with my other system when I swap, other system is an Intel Xeon E3 1245-V5, MSI C236M Workstation & 2x Crucial CT8G4WFD8213 8GB DDR4. FreeNAS should be fine with the swap shouldn't it? It wont complain about a different motherboard & CPU?

Last edited:

Supersonical

Dabbler
Hi, my freenas box is also restarting and i have no idea why.
I have tried looking through the logs but i have to admit that I´m a total noob and can´t se anything obviously causing the restarta.

Here is my logs files https://pastebin.com/raw/PLGCNWLr

Anyone who can please help solve my reboot problems?

Appreciate any help i can get?

My system is,
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3405.98-MHz K8-class CPU)
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Name: Z87-DELUXE
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) / 1600MHz / DDR3 / CL9 / CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) / 1600MHz / DDR3 / CL10 / CML16GX3M2A1600C10