freenas.local had an unscheduled system reboot

TerryVog

Explorer
Several times a day, my FreeNAS server reboots:
freenas.local had an unscheduled system reboot. The operating system successfully came back online at Tue May 5 10:05:39 2020.

This occurs since upgrading from 11.2 to 11.3-U2.1. I saw a post on this forum, suggesting that it is a known bug and the temporary workaround is to disable SMART, so I did. I also upgraded the ZFS Pool with newer ZFS feature flags. But the problem remained.

I use my FreeNAS server to make TimeMachine backups, but at the moment, the server's uptime is too low to start backing up to it.

Specs: Intel Core i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB ram and 4 disks, 3TB each

TerryVog

Explorer
I reported it as a bug, but after sharing my log file, they replied: "Since your system uses non-ECC RAM, I would propose you to run full long memory test to be sure it is not a hardware issue. It also seems you are running not the latest BIOS, while your system is quite old."

So how do I do a long memory test and how can I update my BIOS?

Redcoat

MVP
Long memory test - get a copy of freeware memtest86 and run it.

Update BIOS - boot up to current bios and record version number. Go to mobo manufacturer support site and look at latest bios available for your board - assuming it's newer, download and install it - instruction for doing so likely found on the mobo site if you no longer have access to your mobo manual.

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
The same problem happen last week. Five years my FreeNAS virtual mashine works without any problems. Last week I add ssd disk to pool and update FreeNAS to last firmware. And I receive mashine switch off state several times per day. Ok, I have 2 variants of my problem - ssd disk or last FreeNAS update. I destroy my mashine and install new one, without ssd disk. And when I run transmission plugin with active download, I receive the same - unscheduled reboot message, and switched off mashine state. Do you solve your problems?