Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Scale

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smic717394

Dabbler
Hi,

I have finished building a new nas and I need to decide whether to install core or scale. Its a Atom CPU C2758 with 32GB ram and will install 4 WD red plus CMR. For a month I played with the core, I had it installed on 2 small drive as mirror, with plex, nextcloud and open speed test and its been running great. I just received my drives, and before installing the proper drives, I tried to install on the scale just to test.

At the first glance I notice that the cpu has more usage, where with the core the idle cpu is about 1 or 2% with scale is about 10%, I haven't seen it drop below 9% and when it scan the catalogue jumps to 30%, sometime even more to 70% or more, I seen a red triangle for excessive use that in core I haven't seen. But normal idle is about 9-10%

I like scale because the menu looks more intuitive, the collection of apps, and having linux with docker support maybe could be useful. I like core because it looks like it uses les resources, and looks fairly stable.

Not this is a new setup so start from scratch, whats should I install? please vote and at the end of the week I will install whatever option have more votes.

Thank you.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If you plan on using any 3rd party apps like Plex, Nextcloud and others, you should go with SCALE. The plugin system on CORE is pretty defunct and containers on SCALE will be the way to future-proof yourself.

ThreeDee

Guru
IF you do go with CORE ..make sure to do manual installs of anything you want to run instead of using plugins

MrGuvernment

Patron
If you plan on using any 3rd party apps like Plex, Nextcloud and others, you should go with SCALE. The plugin system on CORE is pretty defunct and containers on SCALE will be the way to future-proof yourself.
I was just looking into this myself with a new build, some on reddit said eventually CORE will be dropped entirely, anyone know if this is true? Will Scale become the defacto TrueNAS?

I presume Scale has pretty much become quiet refined and the performance is all there that Core has? Considering how long Core has been around..

Davvo

MVP
I was just looking into this myself with a new build, some on reddit said eventually CORE will be dropped entirely, anyone know if this is true? Will Scale become the defacto TrueNAS?

I presume Scale has pretty much become quiet refined and the performance is all there that Core has? Considering how long Core has been around..
Officially they never announced it, but I can see that happening.
Performance-wise SCALE is almost on par with CORE, it depends on the use case.
Stability-wise CORE is more polished and there are tons of resources.
SCALE is new, which means new functionalities, better implementation of others (cough-plugins-cough) and overall less resources available in the forum, as well as more bugs.

Choosing one over the other depends on your use case.
That being said, I never tried SCALE and my understanding of it comes from other users' experience.

MrGuvernment

Patron
Appreciate the feedback. While I wont be running any super high performance disk subsystem by any means, but I am going to try and squeeze out as much as I can with what I will build (4-5 spinning rust / NVMe's mirrored possibly for a few VMs / SLOG drive still being decided on if i really need or not)

Whattteva

Wizard
Personally for me, as a storage appliance, I would go CORE everytime. I'd go SCALE only if I'm looking to make an all-in-one system, but I'm not interested in that. Note, I'm also biased to FreeBSD base since I daily drive them on my machines unless I have newer hardware (in which case, I use Linux). I just think FreeBSD's way of doing things saner, simpler, and more stable. In fact, I've considered just running vanilla FreeBSD for everything instead of TrueNAS, but I'm just too lazy to do everything manually and TrueNAS has a pretty nice UI.

For running other services, I think Proxmox is just much better suited for it.

Last edited:

MrGuvernment

Patron
Personally for me, as a storage appliance, I would go CORE everytime. I'd go SCALE only if I'm looking to make an all-in-one system, but I'm not interested in that. Note, I'm also biased to FreeBSD base since I daily drive them on my machines unless I have newer hardware (in which case, I use Linux). I just think FreeBSD's way of doing things are more sane, simple, and more stable. In fact, I've considered just running vanilla FreeBSD for everything instead of TrueNAS, but I'm just too lazy to do everything manually and TrueNAS has a pretty nice UI.

For running other services, I think Proxmox is just much better suited for it.

Definitely! I like to have specialized things, vs "jack of all trades", while it is tempting to have one system, that makes it easy to add-on other functions, like TrueNAS SCALE, and even CORE. To be able to run a couple VM's directly on your NAS, great, but also then I think, if something goes wrong....then what.

Trying to keep my focus that what I am working to build is for storage and storage related tasks, nothing else!