Help choosing mobo and power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Hi All!

Busy with a build in a pc chassis...rack server driving me mad with the noise.
Got a new cool master haf 935 chassis.

Current hardware :
16 x 2tb hdds
1 x m1015 (other one seems dead?! Can replace)

Outstanding :
Mobo ( as rock E3C226D2I looms great but no pci-e slot for m1015, also only has 2 ram slots)
Ram (32gb to start with. )
Power supply for 16hdds (20hdds in the future.)

No need for graphics cards and extra rubbish, sole machine for storage.

Winner gets a free hug! :)

Dice

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The SuperMicro X10SL7 should be just what you're looking for for the motherboard.
Depends on how many LSI SAS controllers the OP wants. If it's just one, an X10SLM+-F would be cheaper, with the preexisting M1015.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, he has 16 drives, one working SAS controller, and a chassis that (AFAIK) doesn't have a SAS expander. He's going to need at least 8 ports between the motherboard and any additional cards he buys. Alternatively, he can buy a SAS expander, but that will likely cost more than the cost delta between the X10SL7 and the X10SLM.

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Thanks guys!

Do you think the X10SLM+-F can take 2 x m1015 and maybe later on take 1 x 1015 and 1 x LSI SAS 9201-16i ?what cpu would you guys recommend with that mobo? Plex is constantly on in the house and remotely.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks guys!

Do you think the X10SLM+-F can take 2 x m1015 and maybe later on take 1 x 1015 and 1 x LSI SAS 9201-16i ?what cpu would you guys recommend with that mobo? Plex is constantly on in the house and remotely.
Sure, but if you're going to order another M1015, the X10SL7-F is cheaper and just as good.

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Sure, but if you're going to order another M1015, the X10SL7-F is cheaper and just as good.

Awesome, what cpu u recommend i get? Plex is my life...kinda like a big toe...." u know u got it, u always use it... but don't touch it " :)
X10SLM+-F seems cheapest on ebay

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Awesome, what cpu u recommend i get? Plex is my life...kinda like a big toe...." u know u got it, u always use it... but don't touch it " :)
Depends on the workload. Transcoding will need more, plain streaming is easy.

styno

Patron
As long as Plex is your life for a couple of streams at the time you should be fine with an i3...

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Awesome, what you guys think of this mobo (supermicro X8DTE-F)
Like it because it's cheap (online sale) and can fit more ram for future use..

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
OK i think i might of found a combination....
  • X10SLM+-F-o Motherboard
  • Kingston 32Gb 1600Mhz Ddr3 Ecc Cl11 Dimm (Kit Of 4) W/Ts - 32 Gb (4 X 8 Gb) - Dd
  • INTEL E3-1230v5, 4 CORE, 8 THREADS, 8M, 3.4GHz, SOCKET 1151
You guys think those will all play nice together?

*headache*

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
The X10SLM+ is a Socket 1150 board, and you have a Socket 1151 CPU. I don't think that will work--you need an X11 board instead for that CPU, or a v3/v4 chip for the X10 motherboard. With as many drives as you're using, why aren't you going with the X10SL7? And as far as the RAM goes, Kingston seems to be disfavored around here. Get something from Supermicro's compatibility list, or use the tool on http://www.crucial.com/ to find guaranteed-compatible RAM.

The X8DT6-F looks like a fine board, and much more capable than any of the others we've discussed so far. It's a couple of generations old, which means most particularly that the CPUs won't do nearly as well in terms of performance/watt as newer chips will.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think that will work
I guarantee it won't. If someone gets a Xeon E3 v5 working with an LGA 1150 board, I'll pay that person a hundred bucks in a convenient currency. Using an LGA1151 socket with a C22x chipset (if it even is possible) does not count.

Z300M

Guru
The X10SLM+ is a Socket 1150 board, and you have a Socket 1151 CPU. I don't think that will work--you need an X11 board instead for that CPU, or a v3/v4 chip for the X10 motherboard. With as many drives as you're using, why aren't you going with the X10SL7? And as far as the RAM goes, Kingston seems to be disfavored around here. Get something from Supermicro's compatibility list, or use the tool on http://www.crucial.com/ to find guaranteed-compatible RAM.

The X8DT6-F looks like a fine board, and much more capable than any of the others we've discussed so far. It's a couple of generations old, which means most particularly that the CPUs won't do nearly as well in terms of performance/watt as newer chips will.
I'll endorse the recommendation to stay away from Kingston memory -- at least for Supermicro motherboards: see my sig.

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Thanks guys, have really been helpful.

Totally missed the socket situation.
Currently using free as with x7dbe and only 32gb of ram.
The x8 mobo's look cheaper for me (than the x10), bit think in the long run the power bill will catch up.

I'm gunna have to suck it up and spend $1500nzd+ on the x10slm system,cpu and ram.
The current x7dbe freenas system Im using actually does work great. Only got 16 x 2tb and probably 10tb used.

....And DAM you Kingston!

danb35

Hall of Famer
The x8 mobo's look cheaper for me (than the x10),
Of course they are. Old tech is almost always cheaper than new tech, but there's always a tradeoff. Sometimes it's performance, sometimes it's power consumption, sometimes it's form factor, but there's always something. Only you can decide if it's worth it, though.

spend $1500nzd+ on the x10slm system,cpu and ram.
Again, why an X10SLM over an X10SL7? For the number of drives you're talking about, the built-in HBA on the X10SL7 should cost less than needing to buy another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.