SOLVED Has anyone had any success upgrading (and using) MineOS with java16?

chravis

Contributor
My minecraft server (using the plugin) ran for months without fail until I needed to upgrade to java16 in order to play Minecraft v1.17. I attempted the java upgrade in the jail, but that failed due to my jail being on version FreeBSD 11. So, I blew away the plugin, reinstalled it, and had it running on 1.16.5 without issues.
So then I upgraded the java (pkg install openjdk16), downloaded the 1.17 Mojang profile, chose the new 1.17 jar, but when I click the "Start" button on the server, nothing happens. I have also tried using PaperMC (because I have read that it is more optimized - but I'm not really a minecraft expert), and it also will not start.

At this point I'm dead in the water trying to run the latest Minecraft. I cannot find any kind of errors in any logs telling me why the server is not starting.

Has anyone else experienced the same? And if so, did you find a solution?

chravis

Contributor
I'm guessing by everyone's silence I'm the only one in this boat! I'll keep plugging at it to see if I can figure it out.
I have determined that my problem is not necessarily a java16 or MC 1.17 problem. I can't seem to start a server using any java version with any MC version. Same symptom - I press the start button and nothing happens - no popups, no warnings, no messages in the logs.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Mineos plugin multiple times, and I've even installed Mineos in a jail without the plugin. All with the same results.

chravis

Contributor
I finally ran across this mineos-node issue reported on github. Apparently the server.config needs a java_binary property. Once I added this value to my file, I was able to start my server. It's been running over night and my kids have been playing, so I'm marking this as solved. I just wish there was an easier way to find the sources of these kinds of issues.

server.config:
Code:
java_binary=/usr/local/openjdk16/bin/java