MineOS Plugin Needs Java Update (if you want the latest Minecraft snapshot)

skyman

Dabbler
FYI - Microsoft/Mojang has decided that Java 16 will be required to run the next version of Minecraft. This is true as of the latest snapshot as well. The current version of java in the MineOS plugin will not run the latest snapshots.

My personal experience is that from the MineOS jail shell I ran the pkg install command to install Java16 and so the new version will launch, but no client can connect to it for some reason (so I'm sure something isn't clean somewhere). I didn't uninstall the old java version and I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

I'm also now having issues with Forge (1.12.2) servers not launching as well, but that may be something else that I screwed up.

kenn

chravis

Contributor
I'd love to know how to upgrade java in the mineos plugin as well.
I attempted to update java inside the jail but I get other errors that I don't really know what they mean:

Code:
root@mineos:~ # pkg install openjdk16
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
Updating plugin-default repository catalogue...
[mineos] Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
[mineos] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   3.1MB/s    00:02
Processing entries:   0%
pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:11:* instead of FreeBSD:12:amd64
pkg: repository plugin-default contains packages with wrong ABI: FreeBSD:11:*
Processing entries: 100%
Unable to update repository plugin-default
Error updating repositories!

Pheran

Patron
I'd love to know how to upgrade java in the mineos plugin as well.
I attempted to update java inside the jail but I get other errors that I don't really know what they mean:

Code:
root@mineos:~ # pkg install openjdk16
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
Updating plugin-default repository catalogue...
[mineos] Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
[mineos] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   3.1MB/s    00:02
Processing entries:   0%
pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:11:* instead of FreeBSD:12:amd64
pkg: repository plugin-default contains packages with wrong ABI: FreeBSD:11:*
Processing entries: 100%
Unable to update repository plugin-default
Error updating repositories!

I'm working on this myself as well. chravis, I think that's telling you your jail is still running FreeBSD 11, you probably need to do an iocage upgrade on it. You can see the jail release in the TrueNAS jail UI or in iocage list. I just upgraded my jail from 11.3 to 12.2 which took it from openjdk8 to openjdk11. Minecraft 1.17 servers still don't launch on this version. Now I'll try going to openjdk16 after another snapshot.

Pheran

Patron
OK, that was successful. After upgrading the jail to 12.2 and installing openjdk16, I was able to run and connect to a 1.17 server. I didn't uninstall the old openjdk11 either but everything seems fine. I didn't do much gameplay testing though.

chravis

Contributor
@Pheran do you mind sharing your steps for upgrading the jail?

Pheran

Patron
@Pheran do you mind sharing your steps for upgrading the jail?

There wasn't much to it, I just did "iocage stop mineos" and then "iocage upgrade mineos" from the CLI.

After that finished I started it again "iocage start mineos" and then "iocage exec mineos bash" to get a shell in the jail, then "pkg install openjdk16" to install Java 16. You can do "java -version" after that to verify it reports version 16. I think I did a final stop/start after that to make sure MineOS was fully using the Java 16 version.

djmac

Cadet
I had the same ABI issue updating my mineos jail with iocage.

Take a look in <iocage folder>/jails/<jail name>/root/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/plugin-default.conf. The URL for plugins was pointing to FreeBSD 11, update to 12 and its now working. (This was a jail/plugin that I created on freenas 11 and upgraded the system to 12).

url: "http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest",

I wonder whether this should be using the "${ABI}" variable similar to /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf.

The ABI issue is because your jail/plugin is running an EOL version of FreeBSD. The proper way to fix this is to either upgrade your jail/plugin or to rebuild it and migrate your data to the new instance.

Pleas refer to this thread for more background:

djmac

Cadet
Hi Jurgen,

I was trying to update my jail with iocage:
iocage upgrade mineos -r 12.2-RELEASE

It kept failing due to the ABI error. I didnt want to have to delete my mineos jail and recreate/copy data.

Changing the plugin-default.conf allowed me to run iocage upgrade rather than a full rebuild of the jail.

Cheers

chravis

Contributor
If anyone else runs across this thread and is having problems starting their server, see the thread here.