GA-X48-DS4 - max memory per channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardy

Cadet
Hi all, noob here.

I was wondering if anyone remembers having this board, it will have an e8500 in it.
Manual is here - http://uk.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X48-DS4-rev-13#support-manual

1) I have a question about the max memory - It's 8Gb and has 4 slots.
I'm assuming that means it's 2Gb per slot maximum, but I can't find that explicitly stated. I wanted to check as using 2x4gb modules would give me more options when trying to buy it.

2) Thought it worth checking that this wouldn't take more than 8Gb, if anyone has experience of it, before I buy the RAM. It's clearly stated as that, but just in case.
My (very dated) experience of using more than max memory is a machine will halt, or work, or are there other risks of trying more than the max?

3) I have noted it has 2x 2 x Realtek RTL8111C NICs and these aren't ideal. My current understanding is that they'll be sub-optimal for speed (vs Intel etc), rather than cause any serious problems, is that correct

Disk testing:
4) These are old drives (5x 1tb in RAID Z2) Possibly (2x 2tb and 1x 3tb to throw at it if anyone has any suggestions - although the partner to the 3tb just failed badly so suspect it's due).
Anyway, I wanted to test them first and have started reading through this - just wanted to check it's the best method still?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-hard-drive-burn-in-testing.21451/

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
1. Not sure if that's even a supported configuration either by the motherboard or CPU.
2. CPU's for that motherboard don't support more than 8GB
3. If they work correctly yes. Realtek are notoriously buggy on FreeBSD
4. your vdev will only be sized according to the smallest drive. If you include the larger drives they won't show the additional space.

If this system is just for testing/learning purposes then have fun. If you are considering building this to store any data that you value, don't do it. That hardware is not appropriate for a reliable FreeNAS system.

beardy

Cadet
Cheers for the speedy answer.

1) nope, I couldn't work that out either- I heavily suspect not though

Cheers for all the rest.

The system was for testing. But, for my own understanding, could I just check which part is not appropriate please? Would be a home server with good backups.

Is there a specific item, like a CPU instruction set, or just in general?
8gb - low but seems to be ok
CPU - seems to be in others signatures
Mboard, disks ??

Once again, thanks, much appreciated

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
First and foremost, that hardware doesn't support ECC memory. While not a requirement it is very strongly recommended for data integrity. The system may work fine but performance will be less than optimal with that old hardware. You're restricted by a slower older CPU technology and a mainboard with a FSB that limits overall throughput.

Do yourself a favor and if you value your data and want to run FreeNAS build an appropriate system based on the hardware recommendations found in the resources section.

beardy

Cadet
First and foremost, that hardware doesn't support ECC memory.

My mistake, checked the mb but not the CPU, you're correct and thanks for the catch! You've just saved me some hassle.

I wasn't so worried about performance as it was going to sit there storing some 'crown jewels' of mainly static data (photos), but I'll rethink the plan.

Really appreciate your time, thank you.

One last one - You don't happen to have a favourite backup tool with checksums do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.