AMD Build, help finding Memory on the QVL list or similar

banshee28

Dabbler
So I am thinking of using this MB:

CPU will be a Ryzen 7 or 9 gen 3 CPU. I would like to max the RAM to 128GB, but thats were I am running into issues finding supported/tested RAM.
According to the manual, to configure for DR with 4 DIMM's, the max supported speeds would be 2666Mhz, 32 GB DIMM.
I did much googling and cant seem to find the exact QVL RAM they tested. I did find something close (Spec wise) here, but not sure if its supported:

Technically AMD does not advertise this CPU as supporting ECC RAM, but apparently it does work (for the most part) and has for many years. The MB clearly supports it too, so I think this will all work.

I also know many other posts here say that just because its not on the QVL list does not mean it wont work, its simply not tested. So just wanted to get a second opinion on if this RAM looks to be right.

OR would there be a better faster combination of RAM I could choose here?

Any advice here?

artlessknave

Wizard
I have almost never found the RAM listed in QVL's. often they list the IC cell itself as the tested part instead of the rebranded DIMM part, but finding the cell used in RAM is.....difficult.
samsung RAM (hell, most samsung electronics) is massively reliable, as they are the makers of tons of the hardware that the resellers rebrand and sell.
afaik samsung has never tried to bait-n-switch like kingston did (they changed the cells in one model line, which caused people errors. kingston now blacks out every part number so people can't catch them again).
I'm not very familiar with AMD in servers or ASROCK (truenas forums favors intel and supermicro), but I don't see any reason that that RAM wouldn't work as long as the CPU is ECC UDIMM capable.
in my experience, most of the RAM incompatibility issues don't really occur anymore.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
I just built a Ryzen 7 system based on an ASUS motherboard (for video encoding, not FreeNAS.) I went to Crucial's web site (www.crucial.com) and ran their System Advisor to find recommendations for memory that would be compatible with my new system. I purchased one of their suggested configurations and it has been working fine.

I have read that, due to the internal architecture of the new Ryzen CPU's, they can be a little fussy about memory spec - I have not had any issue at all with my Crucial memory - and it is not on the official QVL list.

banshee28

Dabbler
I just built a Ryzen 7 system based on an ASUS motherboard (for video encoding, not FreeNAS.) I went to Crucial's web site (www.crucial.com) and ran their System Advisor to find recommendations for memory that would be compatible with my new system. I purchased one of their suggested configurations and it has been working fine.

I have read that, due to the internal architecture of the new Ryzen CPU's, they can be a little fussy about memory spec - I have not had any issue at all with my Crucial memory - and it is not on the official QVL list.
Was this ECC RAM?

joeschmuck

Old Man
When I built my first FreeNAS system it was an AMD system and the QVL RAM listed for ECC I think had only two different sticks of RAM (and they were not large enough), but by using those QVL numbers I was able to do a lot of research to figure out the make/model of the RAM individual chips and was able to take a huge expensive risk and try out the same family of chips but double the capacity from the same QVL listed manufacturer. Remember, QVL means it was lucky enough to have been tested and passed, it doesn't mean others won't work, most have not been tested. Had my gamble not paid off I would have been out about $600 for RAM that I couldn't use.

So if you decide to buy something not listed on the QVL, make sure that if a company like Crucial is recommending it, print out the data so that if it does not work, you can easily return it at no cost and maybe they will ship you the correct memory. If you just take a guess, you could wind up holding some worthless to you RAM in your hand. Also, make sure you do the proper burn-in testing to validate your CPU/RAM/MB/Power Supply, etc. is working properly and hopefully not going to glitch on you.

Happy Hunting!