FreeNAS on a closed lan, upgrades and jails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordel

Dabbler
I have been away from FreeNAS for a while now and was wondering if any improvements might have been made for systems that are on a closed lan, or for systems that are remote with extremely limited bandwidth like satellite or, cough choke, dialup?

When the jails plugins was introduced, the system would want to download those large packages with no ability to create a local repo which was not going to happen on several of my locations. I also didn't want to put any proxie in and open the network so I had to move to something else.

Has there been any progress to make FreeNAS closed LAN friendly again?

Regards,
Corey

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I don't believe there has been any major changes in the jail location however we have had for a while "iohyve" and now "bhyve" which allow the creation of a virtual machine (VM). You could now create a self contained VM and include your own local repo if you feel the need.

Hope this gives you some ideas to try.

-Joe

Cordel

Dabbler
No thanks, that sounds like one more thing I have to track and maintain.

Cloud is wonderful until you on a closed lan. So instead of a local cache folder where I could bring package updates for the system and drop them in, the suggestion is a VM to create my own repo. Might be a good idea if I had several NAS on the same closed LAN, alas my houses in Washington, California, and Texas are not as that would use bandwidth that is limited in two of those locations as it is.

Unfortunate it is I suppose until cable providers are everywhere. I figured by now someone would have simplified the jails/plugins so that it was less depending on being online

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No thanks, that sounds like one more thing I have to track and maintain.

Cloud is wonderful until you on a closed lan. So instead of a local cache folder where I could bring package updates for the system and drop them in, the suggestion is a VM to create my own repo. Might be a good idea if I had several NAS on the same closed LAN, alas my houses in Washington, California, and Texas are not as that would use bandwidth that is limited in two of those locations as it is.

Unfortunate it is I suppose until cable providers are everywhere. I figured by now someone would have simplified the jails/plugins so that it was less depending on being online
If you want to spend some time and lean you can do things offline. You just need to dl it once and get it on your network. Then you can add the jail template tarball and do what you need. Running a vm can also be done locally with no network. Still have to install your applications somehow though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

zoomzoom

Guru
iocage supports a local repository as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.