Issue with Freenas and pfSense with a multi LAN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

Wizard
I have reinstalled pfSense and created two local LAN each one assigned a different subnet.
I have one computer on one subnet and Freenas and another computer on the other subnet.
All the computers, Freenas and the jails can access the internet but I am not allowing the internet to access my network.
The issue can be related to pfSense or Freenas, so here it goes:

LAN1: 192.168.1.1/24
LAN2: 192.168.2.1/24

The computer on LAN1 can access on LAN2 Freenas and Plex (with web browser) using the IP address.

The computer on LAN1 can access Freenas on LAN2 using the hostname, but not consistently.
The computer on LAN1 cannot access PLEX via Plex application.

The computer on LAN2 can access both Freenas and PLEX with both hotsname and IP address.

I have mapped my windows share using hostname with computer on LAN1 but I cannot access them anymore. Not sure if I was able to after I settup the new network.
The shares will work if I use the IP address.

This let me to believe something is preventing Freenas and the jails to advertise their hostname on the other subnet.

Is this something that needs to be setup on Freenas or within pfSense?
I have setup rules for pfSense to let traffic go between LAN1 and LAN2 and vise-versa.

I have been searching for quite some time without success.
Any pointers or recommendation would really be appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Netbios name resolution works with broadcast packets. It won't cross subnets. You can either configure a WINS server or configure DNS. I recommend the latter, which can probably be easily done with a 'host override' in the pfsense DNS resolver.

kb0

Dabbler
Are you assigning IP addresses by DHCP on pfSense? What are the states of the 'DHCP Registration' and 'Static DHCP' settings in Services->DNS Resolver->General Settings?

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Are you assigning IP addresses by DHCP on pfSense?
Both.
I have pfSense DHCP range as follow:

LAN1: 192.168.1.100 => 192.168.1.150
LAN2: 192.168.2.100 => 192.168.2.150

I have pfSense assigned "DHCP Static Mapping for this interface":
Both Freenas NIC's are connected and assigned fix IP address outside the range above.
Same with Plex.
Same with the main PC.

I have a few jails set to DHCP and one that is static outside the DHCP range. It doesn't collide with the other devices.

As opposed to by Dlink router, in order to assign DHCP address to the device on the network, it has to be done inside the DHCP range. On pfSense, this is the opposite ( unless I misunderstand how the DHCP static mapping works).

What are the states of the 'DHCP Registration' and 'Static DHCP' settings in Services->DNS Resolver->General Settings?
"DNS Resolver" is enabled.
Both "DHCP Registration" and "Static DHCP" are "checked".

I was watching some channels on Plex via web browser, and one of them is throwing the following message:

"Cannot load M3U8: crossdomain access denied"

Watching the same channel from the computer on LAN2 (where Freenas is connected) plays fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.