Getting FreeNAS to send a Wake On LAN signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Torrie

Cadet
HI FreeNAS users,

point me in the right direction if this is the wrong place or if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I have a question is it possible to get a FreeNAS system to send a Wake on Lan signal to a Windows based PC once it's started?

what my current set up is, you can wake the FreeNAS box when you want via a smartphone app. this will then start the Box up and will usually take about 3-4mins before it's usable. during this time you either have to send another WOL signal to the Windows HTPC or start it manually and wait for the freeNAS to start up as the WIndows pc starts up much quicker.

is there a way (cron, Jail, Plugin) or whatever that will allow the Freenas to send a WOL signal to this PC once the FreeNAS has started?

I'm using FreeNAS 9.1.1 64bit and Windows7 Ultimate

any advice would be much appreciated.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, what jumps out at me: We all uniformly and strongly recommend that you keep your FreeNAS server running 24/7. There are a number of hardware *AND* software reasons to do that. In fact, Cyberjock is dealing with a guy who lost his pool primarily BECAUSE he did not keep it on 24/7, and some important ZFS functions never could finish during the time it WAS on, resulting in catastrophe.

So my 'answer' is: You don't WANT to wake your FreeNAS using WOL and a smartphone app. As for waking the Windows box, that should really be a solved problem. There surely exist FreeBSD methods/software for sending WOL signals to an IP address.

Dusan

Guru
is there a way (cron, Jail, Plugin) or whatever that will allow the Freenas to send a WOL signal to this PC once the FreeNAS has started?
In a jail run "pkg install wol". This is how to use it: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?...ktion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE+and+Ports
You do not even need to run the wol command from within the jail. It doesn't have any special dependencies so you can run it directly from the FreeNAS CLI (you will find the binary in <jail_root>/<jail_name>/usr/local/bin).

Status
Not open for further replies.