Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggy

Dabbler
Along comes 9.2.1 and we all need to patch again if we feel the need to upgrade (I didn't but wanted to see if it had been included) - can someone who is more familiar with this please get it into github.

vannhi

Dabbler
Just tried to patch the 9.2.1: http://vannhi.fr/freenas/index.php
Not tested though.
I never contributed in github before. Maybe I will try when I have times to test how to include the patch in Freenas source.

Attachments

• if_bge_patch_9.2.1.zip
    34.9 KB · Views: 541

Dusan

Guru
I never contributed in github before. Maybe I will try when I have times to test how to include the patch in Freenas source.
I think the problem with committing this directly to FreeNAS git is that the change is untested on anything else than Microservers. The bge driver supports big family of Broadcom chips. The patch adds the functionality to all of them -- it does not check the device/chip id or the asic revision. So, while it works for you (as it seems it was originally written for the Microserver Broadcom chip) it may break the driver for other users.

vannhi

Dabbler
I think the problem with committing this directly to FreeNAS git is that the change is untested on anything else than Microservers. The bge driver supports big family of Broadcom chips. The patch adds the functionality to all of them -- it does not check the device/chip id or the asic revision. So, while it works for you (as it seems it was originally written for the Microserver Broadcom chip) it may break the driver for other users.

As far as I can read the patch code, I don't think it can break the driver for other users. Moreover, tt's the same patch integrated officially by Nas4Free, and no one blames it so far.

Anyways, it seems they have changed the way to build Freenas, I could not figured out how to apply the patch directly anymore.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As far as I can read the patch code, I don't think it can break the driver for other users. Moreover, tt's the same patch integrated officially by Nas4Free, and no one blames it so far.

The keyword is "think". I'll agree that it is probably safe. But, for a product that is used for enterprises that spend 4-6 figures for, you don't do things that you "think" are safe. ;)

I've yet to ever hear of NAS4Free selling hardware that costs 4-6 figures. When I go to their forms and people complain about problems with their zpool and the answer is "run fsck on your pool" I discredit their entire project rapidly. For me, when I was investigating NAS4Free and FreeNAS, a post that said precisely that is why I immediately disqualified them as capable of storing my data safely long-term.

xmasman

Cadet
I have on question:

Do you use the 32 or 64-bit version of Freenas?

Greets
xmasman

Mechanix

Cadet
OK got it: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3764

Hello, I have a solution to resolve this issue.
With embedded version :
Connect with ssh to your freenas with root account.
toggle file system to write: mount -w /
edit file /conf/base/etc/rc.shutdown: and comment line #/sbin/ifconfig -l | /usr/bin/xargs -n 1 -J % /sbin/ifconfig % down

toogle file system te read-only mount -r /

reboot.
After restart, when you shutdown your server, the lan interface power continue to be on.
Wake on lan running well.

I have trying this, and it's OK on my freeness server with em0 nic.

(Excuse my poor english).

Mechanix

Cadet
One weird thing:

When shutting down the server through the webinterface WOL is working fine. BUT: I have a script that runs as cron every 15min. It checks if there are available clients in the network like Smartphones/XBOX etc. If not, it shuts down the server with
Code:
/sbin/shutdown -p now
In this case, I cannot wake the server with WOL up?!

So there must be a difference between the webgui shutdown command and /sbin/shutdown -p now ?

Can someone help me?

GraceCourt

Cadet
Unfortunately, the patch for 9.2.1. doesn't work for Freenas 9.2.1.3 on a Microserver N40L, either with or without the amendment to the rc.shutdown script quoted by Mechanix.

The WOL_MAGIC option is listed by ifconfig but, as reported by others with earlier versions, no restart on sending it the WOL magic packets.

sluggy

Dabbler
Same modified if_bge.ko file is working for my N40 on 9.2.1.3 as did on 9.2.1, without any changes being made to to rc.shutdown. I have powered off multiple times with both the gui and 'poweroff' command and each time I am able to wake on lan.

joesflow

Cadet
and same goes for 9.2.1.2

The vannhi's patch http://vannhi.fr/freenas/index.php also works on well on
Freenas 9.2.1.3 x64 running on a Microserver N54L.

Waking and sleeping via MyNAS Control from iOS devices which issues a
shutdown -p now
via root ssh from the app and wakes via WOL.

For those which still have issues with WOL.
Did you add the tuneable?

17795793wq.png

Thanks vannhi.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hi all,
N54L, N40L and N36L owner here, looking to experiment with FreeNAS.

Can someone quite clued up explain to me the process for getting the correct driver approved as part of the build?
I understand that very expensive hardware has been shipped possibly utilizing the same chips we're wanting to see the updated driver we'd like added. Does this mean that drivers are simply never updated at any point unless a bug is found in most stable products? I'm curious what the process is on updates for stuff like this?

Also I know the basics of linux, I could probably follow a tutorial and get this working but has anyone written a simple script to execute to get it going or is there any way to release a downloadable package to execute?
My FreeNAS box is headless, so I do everything remotely, presumably updating network drivers on a headless box would be either impossible or at least risky, right?

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS follows the drivers that are available with the matching FreeBSD version. So FreeNAS 9.2.0 and 9.2.1.x follows FreeBSD 9.2. Now if you have a problem with that driver and put in a ticket they will often (but not always) deviate and go with something newer from the manufacturer.

There is no way to add your own drivers. The bottom line is that all of the kernel drivers must be compiled with FreeNAS with only a very small number of exceptions. So unless you also plan to recompile FreeNAS' installs for yourself you are stuck with either putting in a ticket for the developers or just accepting that your driver will match whatever FreeBSD version we are working with.

You can be fairly sure that hacked drivers won't last long in FreeNAS though, which is why WOL is one of those pipe dreams with regards to FreeNAS.

diskdiddler

Wizard
FreeNAS follows the drivers that are available with the matching FreeBSD version. So FreeNAS 9.2.0 and 9.2.1.x follows FreeBSD 9.2. Now if you have a problem with that driver and put in a ticket they will often (but not always) deviate and go with something newer from the manufacturer.

There is no way to add your own drivers. The bottom line is that all of the kernel drivers must be compiled with FreeNAS with only a very small number of exceptions. So unless you also plan to recompile FreeNAS' installs for yourself you are stuck with either putting in a ticket for the developers or just accepting that your driver will match whatever FreeBSD version we are working with.

You can be fairly sure that hacked drivers won't last long in FreeNAS though, which is why WOL is one of those pipe dreams with regards to FreeNAS.

Yep of course, apologies - I wasn't clicking right.
I for some reason assumed the posted WoL drivers were newer, when they are infact modified (right?) - not just newer :/
A shame. Yes, I can see why those wouldn't be included.

I wonder if those who modified the drivers would be able to let t he manufacturers know? For an official change? or unlikely?

Status
Not open for further replies.