Wake On Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Remotely waking up your computer with a magic packet requires several things:

1. NIC must support WOL.
2. The NIC driver must support WOL.
3. The NIC driver must have it properly enabled.
4. BIOS must support WOL and have it enabled.

There are more I believe, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head at 7am.
What you should do is figure out where the broken link is and see if you can fix it. Naturally, the BIOS isn't exactly open to being "fixed" if it isn't supported.

Good luck!

semo

Cadet
I've got 1 and 4 covered. WOL works with Windows no problem with this server. It is not clear whether others in this thread have managed to get it to work with their older versions of the HP microsorver but it sounded to me that they were able to. So I tried the driver they posted but I'm still not able to remotely wake up the system

Vazzer

Dabbler
I've got 1 and 4 covered. WOL works with Windows no problem with this server. It is not clear whether others in this thread have managed to get it to work with their older versions of the HP microsorver but it sounded to me that they were able to. So I tried the driver they posted but I'm still not able to remotely wake up the system

Hi there, I posted previously saying the solution worked for me on 8.3.1 with an N36L Microserver.

I have since upgraded to 9.1.1 and in the process of the upgrade I broke the WOL functionality. The good news is that I followed the instructions again, but I used the driver posted by szurke since it was a later driver. This worked for me. I didn't do anything special from memory. Are the permissions on the file okay? Mine are as follows:

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 113064 Sep 7 23:03 if_bge.ko

Hope that helps...

sluggy

Dabbler
I also installed the driver as posted by szurke. I cursed at the computer for a week or so while it refused to work until eventually realising that I had set the tunables value to 'Yes' instead of 'YES' and then it worked. I'm sure nobody else would make that mistake...

Cheers guys!

xmasman

Cadet
Hey,

some questions:
Do i have to enable something in the WebGUI of Freenas?
Or with ifconfig bge0 wol?

I have the WOL attribute now on my N36L on bge0, but it won't wake up.
Tried wol.exe for windows and an app for android.
Is there a special command to shutdown the system?

Thanks for everything.

Greets
xmasman

sluggy

Dabbler
Nothing in the webgui but you should enable it in Bios.
Shut the server down using the gui and it will sit waiting for your wake-up.

I use plink (which you will find with putty) to ssh into the box and run shutdown to turn it off automatically at the end of my backup runs. I would prefer not to be ssh'ing in so if anyone has a better idea. I considered a timed shutdown. Yes it is only used for backups so I will not be leaving it on.

xmasman

Cadet
Hmm, i don't know what else to do.
I doesn't work for me.
With ifconfig i see the wol_magic attribute, on the Bios WOL is enabled.
After i poweroff the system, i see the led diode for network at the front of the system blinking, when there is network traffic.
Also when i'm sending the magic pakets, but it still doesn't wake up.

I have the N36L and Freenas 9.1.1.

Perhaps i'm using an old BIOS Version?

Greets
xmasman

vannhi

Dabbler
It doesn't work for me either. I have N40L and Freenas 9.2.0.

I'm having this error:

freenas kernel: KLD file if_bge.ko - could not finalize loading

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Correct. More than likely that .ko file wasn't made for FreeBSD 9.2.0.

vannhi

Dabbler
Well, I will try to rebuild another .ko for FreeBSD 9.2.0 in this case.

Same error after building if_bge.ko from FreeBSD 9.2.0 with patched

vannhi

Dabbler
Yes, I rebuilt a Freenas with that patch. It worked.
You can download the patched images here: http://vannhi.fr/index.php
There is the patched if_bge.zip for 9.2.0-RELEASE x64, but I haven't tested it yet.

warri

Guru
Is there a bug report for this issue already? I could only find report #3764 which is referencing WOL. If this is the same problem, maybe add a comment that a patch is available?

szurke

Cadet
I installed and tested the patched if_bge driver as posted by vannhi. The WOL is working fine on my HP N40L with it!
Thanks a lot vannhi!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So why doesn't someone patch this in github so everyone can enjoy this feature???

The developers don't spend much time here, so you might want to do it yourself. WOL isn't exactly a high priority either since FreeNAS is designed for 24x7 uptime.

Shogoki

Cadet
Yes, I rebuilt a Freenas with that patch. It worked.
You can download the patched images here: http://vannhi.fr/index.php
There is the patched if_bge.zip for 9.2.0-RELEASE x64, but I haven't tested it yet.
Hi,
I am new to FreeNAS and I have a HP Proliant Microserver N54l.
I installed your patched version of Freenas 9.2.0 to get WoL Support for the onboard NIC.
After patching I have the wol_magic in the interface options and capabilities:
Code:
] ~# ifconfig -m bge0
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=c219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
        capabilities=c219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
        ether 38:ea:a7:a1:0c:6f
        inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        inet6 fe80::3aea:a7ff:fea1:c6f%bge0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
        supported media:
                media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol
                media autoselect
                media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,master
                media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
                media 1000baseT mediaopt master
                media 1000baseT
                media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
                media 100baseTX
                media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
                media 10baseT/UTP

Anyway, I am still not able to wake up the system. I tried it using etherwake on my Linux Router, and wol.exe from my Windows Box.
In the BIOS i enabled WakeOnLAN. There is also an option ROM for the NIC (I think it`s mainly for setting up PXE Boot. Looks like the Network Boot ROM that the big Proliant NICs have) . There was an option called "Pre-Boot WakeOnLAN" which I enabled, too.
Do you have any idea? Any hint for a first place to look?
Thank you for help.
Kind Regards
Shogoki

Shogoki

Cadet
Hay Guys,
As I got no answer for one week, I thought i`d have to try a different NIC today. So i found an unused NC360T (HP NIC) that i could use for my home server, which is actually an INTEL Chipset.
After the first boot with the new NIC i could see the WOL_MAGIC option for one port of the new NIC (it actually is a 2 port NIC).
But i was still unable to wake the system after a shutdown (using shutdown -p/ halt -p/ init 0) from the FreeNAS OS. However, I was able to wake the system after i was in BIOS ans powered down the system (without booting into the OS).
After some testes, another 4 hours searching on the web, i found out, that i am able to wake the system from a S4 state (still only the INTEL NIC). Meaninig I hibernate the system using "acpiconf -s 4" (hibernation to disk)
Now, I have another question: As I am new to freenas, and to FreeBSD too, I am wondering if there is any issue if I hibernate the system to disk (S4 state) using "acpiconf -s 4".
I would be glad if you can give a comment on that.

Kind Regards
Shogoki

vannhi

Dabbler
Hi Shogoki,
I have no idea about why the WOL does not work on your N54L with my patches. Well, it's always very difficult to find out which is wrong.
As for your card NC360T, I may have something as it did not work in my N40L either. It seems there is a problem with the driver for FreeBSD 9.2.0. Try Freenas 9.1.1 to see if it works.

joesflow

Cadet
Hi Shogoki,
my N54L is waking via WOL with the built-in NIC.

1. Installed the official FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 not the patched one from vanni
2. Downloaded the only patched driver if_bge.zip --- from http://vannhi.fr/index.php
3. Then follow these steps in a root shell on the server
1.mount -uw /
2.copy if_bge.ko to /boot/kernel
3.Create a new tunable if_bge_load with value YES in the web interface
4.reboot
5.check WOL_MAGIC in ifconfig bge0

Best Regards,
/joe

Status
Not open for further replies.