FreeNAS Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdullah123

Cadet
Hi there,

I have been using FreeNAS since version 9. I recently updated to version 11 and absolutely loving it. The only problem is that this time around I had set up my email so it sends me notifications if there's any problem with the server.

I am getting below notification like at least 10 to 12 times a day and would like to know is this something that I should be worried about?

Code:
 NTP status: No response received from xx.xxx.xxx.x.

Code:
NTP status: 1 out of 8 probes failed

Also, I saw some scripts floating around to create a backup of FreeNAS 11.2 configuration. I am not sure which one easier to work with but if there's a simplified version a script which will send me an email as well with the configuration file once it's done would be awesome. Is it better to move FreeNAS to an SSD or some sort of internal storage? Or running off of USB stick is fine?

Thanks a lot!

Alecmascot

Guru
Since you supplied no details I guess you have, like many others, accidentally upgraded to 11.2 Beta software when you should have installed 11.1-U5: the latest non-beta release.
The NTP problem is a documented bug in 11.2 Beta.
I suggest you revert to FN 9 (9.10 ?) and upgrade to 11.1 Stable.

kdragon75

Wizard
NTP status: No response received from xx.xxx.xxx.x.
This is a concern. If FreeNAS does not have the correct time, it may show up to events late and cause a scene.
NTP status: 1 out of 8 probes failed
It looks like you need to double check you NTP sources. BTW NTP = Network Time Protocol Its for keeping your clock in sync.

Possibly, but your problem is more likely network reachability to the NTP servers or DNS resolving the names of the NTP servers.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I saw some scripts floating around
Scripts: Github repository for FreeNAS scripts, including disk burnin
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-freenas-scripts-including-disk-burnin.28/
Can I downgrade from 11.2 to 11.1 without any problem?
If you did not delete the old boot environment, it is as simple as choosing the environment for next boot and rebooting.
http://doc.freenas.org/11.2/system.html#boot-environments

Abdullah123

Cadet
Thank you everybody!

One last question: Is it safe to move the installation to some sort of internal storage? Like a small SSD?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.